Ride-4-Fun charger, are they worth it?

Will a Ride-4-Fun charger extend battery life compared to the onboard 2009 GEM e2 charger?

Pete… I’d stay with the stock charger… as long as you use the Deka GEL batteries the DeltaQ works well… I’m not driving my car as much… find that if I give it a full charge and kill the power at the fuse box my batteries stay fully charged for the couple of weeks it sits… shame on me I got a Tesla

Bob

Thanks Bob for the input. I have not been getting good mileage out of the Deka batteries. I need to buy another set and I want to see what changes, if any, I can do to increase the range. I suppose a Tesla would do it.

not sure where you are but cold weather will cut the range… colder less mileage… happens to all batteries… even the Tesla although they are working on it… my next battery change in the GEM will be to lithium… I last upgraded to the Deka Dominator… more money and aren’t better than the Deka Solar that I had before… I’ve griped at the Deka sales manager but think it’s not Deka’s fault… my heavy foot… bigger motor… cargo box… junk I carry and my fat butt all add to the lack of mileage… I sent my car to Innovation Motorsports last year… they added an extra battery for the accessories… now I have extra weight there… love my GEM car… got the Tesla in November and am driving it more… like that it has heat and more range

Bob

1 Like

Keep an eye on Ryan and Steve who are in the middle of Chevy Lithium upgrades.
I believe that they will have less that $2k total investment for 50 mile theoretical range.
Also ask Grant and Mike who have much experience with lithium Gem.

Nothing better than DQ. IMO And they work perfectly with high voltage conversions.

I am hoping that enough conversions are done to write a primer guiding the next person. I will say that Dave has been very helpful. Some issues are caused by different model years and difference between 825 and e series The difference between e2, e4, e6, etc. has more to do with battery placement, cabling, etc.

1 Like

Any brand charger setup with the proper algorithm will properly charge your batteries. The RFF charger is a Quick Charger with a 200 buck mark up. IMHO The Quick Charge is the Toughest player in the game. My Choice!!!

Rodney

1 Like

Quick charger is a tough , high quality charger . great replacement but it wont add any range to ypur gel batteries .

Gem worked with DQ and Deka on the algorithms , they are pretty sophisticated . They start with a bulk charge , then go to a constant voltage charge , then raise voltage , do another cv charge . cant remember how many steps they do total . At the end they balance out your pack with final charge of 16v per battery !
my 2014 e4 has the original Deka batteries in it with 12,000 miles on it . still has about a 12 mile range .

But it is getting my lasted and greatest ADVANCED Lithium upgrade this week :grin:

1 Like

Also your DQ has a Gel Recovery profile in it #15 . it helps restore your gel batteries . enable it with your batteries mostly charged . it will automatically change itself back to #14 when done

1 Like