Retrofitting with higher capasity

Hi

I am thinking of buying an EV, but I need a bit more range than what they normaly deliver.

Luckily, it will come without batteries.

Basicaly, I am looking for batteries that give at least 50% more power.
An alternative, would be batteries that will recharge a percentage in a short time.

I have to be able to do a 70+70 km run (44+44 miles), mostly at 80km/h (50mph)

I am a bit dazzled about all the battery info at the net, and dont realy know what to look for…

Does anyone know of any batteries that will suit my needs?

I am willing to spend $5000, maybee more to get a proper battery pack.

The fact-sheets are using metric measurement, hope that is ok.
It will be charged with 240V

Any info will be apreciated.:slight_smile:

Fact-sheet:

MOTOR
A DC series motor with high frequency MOSFET controller.
Nominal Power
Maximum power
Torque 14 kW/3300 rpm
22 kW/2850 rpm
73 Nm/0…2850 rpm

BATTERY PACK
13 pieces of lead-acid batteries. Battery pack with a heating and cooling system.
Weight
Voltage
Capacity 416 kg
78 V
180/185 Ah/5h

CHARGER
Adapter
Charging time

Energy consumption from power source. 230 V/16 A
0-100 %: 9 h
0-90 %: 5 h
24 kWh/100 km

PERFORMANCE
Top speed
Acceleration
Gradeability
Driving range in city
Driving range per charge 90 km/h
0-50 km/h:13 s/110 m
32 %
City: 80 km
50 km/h: 110 km

Best regards

Malawi

I don’t think there are a lot of great battery options just yet. I’m planning to wait a few years for the prices on nanotech batteries to come down.

You can look here:

http://www.metricmind.com/ac_honda/main2.htm

This was a few years ago(I think) and his voltages were much hight than what you are looking for, so you should be able to get by much cheaper than his $9K.

Good Luck
Lazlow

I tried to get some informatation on theese batteries but the car companies have them all tied up? good luck Here is the page to go to maybe you will have better luck than I did.

http://www.ovonic.com/eb_ba_omd_nimh_battery_market.cfm
http://www.ovonic.com/ne_ecd_ovonics_press_releases_more.cfm?pressrelease_id=274&print=yes&print=yes

Ovonic Materials Division — The Nickel Metal Hydride Battery Market

There was no nickel metal hydride (NiMH) battery product until ECD Ovonics’ innovations overcame fundamental obstacles which prevented commercialization. Now, the field of NiMH battery technology is experiencing significant growth in several market segments.

In the consumer arena, where $30 billion of non-rechargeable (primary) batteries go into the waste stream each year, rechargeable NiMH (secondary) batteries are increasing market share. Consumers save money while getting improved performance by switching to NiMH batteries in applications such as digital cameras and other portable electronic devices. The replacement of “throwaway” primary batteries is driving consumer NiMH battery growth, and the transition has only just begun.

In the automotive arena, NiMH batteries are an enabling technology for hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs). The electricity stored in NiMH batteries provides the energy to the electric motors which propel HEVs. Our major licensees are expanding production to meet the demand that is projected for HEV batteries.

Our reduced cost, low-temperature metal hydride alloys provide the potential for NiMH technology to target other battery markets currently dominated by lead-acid batteries. Our advanced nickel hydroxide materials offer improved energy and power and also reduce cost, all vital parameters for lowering the overall HEV battery cost or extending mileage under pure electric conditions to promote “plug-in hybrids.”

NiMH is also ideally suited to gain ground in the stationary power markets (distributed generation, telecommunications, uninterruptible power supply), as well as for applications for the military and homeland security. Our Cobasys JV is licensed to provide batteries to service these large market segments.

Aren’t they the ones that GE ate and then sold to Texaco?