Large Scale NiMH Charger

I have been doing studies on what type of battery I want to put into my EV project. The results of my studies almost all pointed to NiMHs being the best choice. They could give me the most power, the most capasity, and the least weight. To my suprise they are not the most expensive choice either. I found that one bank of 16 6v deep cycles would cost me just under $5000 for 3500 Ah, where as four banks of 144v NiMH batteries would only cost me $3800 for 4800 Ah. One more perk I found was that the weight of the lead acids is a wopping 69lbs each totaling 1088lbs. The NiMH weigh only 45.6lbs totaling only 182.4lbs for all four banks. Now my only concern with this is that I cannot figure out how to charge a 144v NiMH battery since they require smart chargers and I haven’t been able to find a charger large enough for 144v.

I cam here hoping that some one else maybe able to help me with my problem here, in either pointing me toward a charger or helping in developing a charger.

What batteries are you using?? And are you kidding with 4800AH??? That is like impossible, unless you are wiring in serries. Regardless, http://www.electroauto.com/catalog/charger.shtml will show you come chargers that go up to 144v. They are also programmable for the type of battery you will be charging.

Anyone know if there is a software package for the 2008 Zenn (AC motor) that can reprogram the controller to get 35 mph? I know there is one for the 2007 Zenn, but it is for a DC system.

[QUOTE=Metalo;650]I have been doing studies on what type of battery I want to put into my EV project. The results of my studies almost all pointed to NiMHs being the best choice. They could give me the most power, the most capasity, and the least weight. To my suprise they are not the most expensive choice either. I found that one bank of 16 6v deep cycles would cost me just under $5000 for 3500 Ah, where as four banks of 144v NiMH batteries would only cost me $3800 for 4800 Ah. One more perk I found was that the weight of the lead acids is a wopping 69lbs each totaling 1088lbs. The NiMH weigh only 45.6lbs totaling only 182.4lbs for all four banks. Now my only concern with this is that I cannot figure out how to charge a 144v NiMH battery since they require smart chargers and I haven’t been able to find a charger large enough for 144v.

I cam here hoping that some one else maybe able to help me with my problem here, in either pointing me toward a charger or helping in developing a charger.[/QUOTE]

Post your battery source, please.

some chargers can do two batteries at once. what you say may have been a saddle pack. I dont think you can use a splitter and charge two. If they were say 2 6 cell, and your charger could handle 12 cells its possible, but it would take a lot longer to charge.