Performance EVs

I’ve a pretty good idea of how I want to build my economy EV, but I would also like a hi performance project. I have some questions about making EVs that go fast…

I’d like to stay with DC. I think I can get more bang for my buck with DC, and it seems a bit easier to work with. I’ve seen performance EVs with 2 motors (like the Tango 600 and older versions of the White Zombie) with great 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Is it possible to run a 2 motor system with 1 controller, or does each motor need a controller of its own?

Also, can these systems remain air-cooled, or do the high performance DC systems require a liquid coolant?

My goal with a hi performance would be this: a small, aerodynamic 2 seater with good 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Top speed would not be a priority; I wouldn’t run it on F1 tracks, although whipping around a windy road would be fun. Range would be somewhat of a priority. I’d like a range of 30-40 miles if possible. I’d like something that I can cruise around town, but can stomp a [I]Fast and the Furious[/I] style rice-rocket if I catch one at a stop light.

I was thinking something like a big trans warp motor with a Zilla Z2K controller and plenty of juice. Am I on the right track, or is this an unrealistic vision?

-Kevin