Paniting a GEM

I photoshopped my new wheels onto yours… Curious to see the finished results of mine. I’ll get it back next week.

thoes wheels look good. What size are u going with? And what color are you painting yours

I went with 16’s on 205/45 nitto neogen’s. The color is similar, basically the same. The grabber blue that is on the 2015 mustang.

I have the stake bed on mind but I’m building a custom back end that folds down into a bench seat or can be truck bed.

My car is grabber blue. It looks different in almost every pic. Right on let’s see some pics when you get some color

Yeah there’s a crap load of variations to grabber blue, I found all the paint codes for different versions so I hope it turns out exactly like I’m hoping.

I’ll upload pics late next week.

just finished painting it, and added the new 16" nitto wheels and rims. still have to powdercoat the rear black, and adding an LED lightbar

Hey that looks great . I think those wheels look perfect for that. What if you did the sides of the diamond plate blue and then rhino lined the flat surface black?

I’m still exploring options. that’s a good thought. I may try to fabricate a fold down seat still that goes into a truck bed.

What or where are you going to attach the light bar.

I added a old school floor mounted High Beam switch to turn on and off my Light bar. Now effectionaly called the “death ray”

I have a 14" LED bar that I’ll attach to the chrome bumper bar that I have on my lower front end.

I have sealed beam lights on my 2008 S.E. Edition e2. I just finished hanging a 12" LED bar from my chrome bumper. Its activated by my high bean switch on the pod.

I use the adequate low sealed beam lights most of the time. If anybody flashes me with their bright’s… I hit the high (flame thrower) beam switch. I don’t want any holes in my carpeting from a floor switch. Its a good idea though…

Rascle: can you please expand on this> You say you can turn on your LED light bar via the High Beam switch on the pod? I’m confused what High Beam switch is this? I have a 2008 and dint know there was a Hi/Low beam switch on the pod? Is this a stock switch or something you added aftermarket.

I’m confused by the factory headlight LCD display on my 08 it shows a “Blue” headlight in the display when the lights are on it always makes me think the Brights are on?

I have a limited production e2 model ( 2008 Anniversary Special Edition). Many factory installed options that you could have installed on a standard level car are standard. Including: Adjustable steering column, 7 hp motor, Chrome front & rear bumpers, window washer, emergency flashers, 12 volt power socket, rear window, sealed beam low and high beam headlights with a low/high beam switch on the left side of the instrument pod. The front of the car is different from the standard models and exclusive to the S.E. Anniversary model in that the sealed beam headlights are molded in to the plastic and set in heavy chrome frames. The car only came in the Glacier Blue color.

My 12" 24 double row led light bar was easy to plug into the high beam connector behind one of the headlights. No other switch needed… The high/low beam switch is a rocker type switch. If you call Lee at Beck Chrysler (888) 677-4961 He might be able to get you a similar Gem switch.

You could cut a hole with a Dremel tool in the left side of your pod. Wire the low side to your present headlights and the high side to the light bar. I mounted the double row bar right under the chrome bumper using stainless steel “L” brackets from Home Depot attached to the same bolts that the bumper uses. The light bar hangs only 6" off the ground. I believe that my pod screen shows if high or low beams are in use.

I hope this long dissertation is of some help…?

Jerry

Hey thanks for the detailed explanation I never knew Gem offered an adjustable steering column and some of the other options you mentioned. I always wondered what the larger framed headlights were on some gems with the chrome frame were . They kind of look like sunglasses to me. But I guess these are the sealed dual beam headlights you’re referring to. So it all makes sense now. As far as adding a column mounted highbeam low beam switch no thanks . I’ve always found it very inconvenient to have to take your hand off the wheel to turn up or down your highbeams The old-school floor mounted highbeam switch to me is something they should have never changed . I was actually reading a blog about how American car makers followed European car makers in switching the highbeam switch to the turn signal stock. American auto manufacturers felt it was more exotic. What a joke that thought was.
I also think that the way Gem positions there switches it’s very hard to see

[quote=Gwest;25054]Hey thanks for the detailed explanation I never knew Gem offered an adjustable steering column and some of the other options you mentioned. I always wondered what the larger framed headlights were on some gems with the chrome frame were . They kind of look like sunglasses to me. But I guess these are the sealed dual beam headlights you’re referring to. So it all makes sense now. As far as adding a column mounted highbeam low beam switch no thanks . I’ve always found it very inconvenient to have to take your hand off the wheel to turn up or down your highbeams The old-school floor mounted highbeam switch to me is something they should have never changed . I was actually reading a blog about how American car makers followed European car makers in switching the highbeam switch to the turn signal stock. American auto manufacturers felt it was more exotic. What a joke that thought was.
I also think that the way Gem positions there switches it’s very hard to see[/quote]

And… Large bright yellow turn signals next to the headlights and different tail light positions from the standard model cars. Stainless license plate light plus two tone leather seat with Gem car embossed logos and floor carpeting. Bunch of “Special Edition” emblems on the rear and dash board. A really like the rare metallic Glacier Blue color. I’ve never seem myself coming in the opposite direction in a similar Gem car.

I’m from the 50’s and remember the floor high beam light switch. I can reach/change to high beams on the Gem pod in half the time it took me to find the floor switch in the good old days… You already put the hole in the floor now justify it in your mind. You wanna have a high beam race (LOL) ? I have no problem driving with one hand… I’m most likely putting a CD or changing a radio station in the stereo system with the other hand.

Kind regards,

Jerry

I can reach/change to high beams on the Gem pod in half the time it took me to find the floor switch in the good old days

Jerry do you have 2 leg’s? LOL, I find myself driving with 1 hand on the wheel most of the time, while my left hand is usually on the grab handle. So both hands are being used while my left leg is pretty much free. So that’s where the floor mounted switch comes into play for me. I drive at night quite a bit the last 45 mins of my commute is on a windy road. I swear that I have blinded many people in my car because I was in the middle of turning sharp and had both hands on the wheel when I needed to take one hand off to turn down the Hi’s.So for me the floor mounted switch is where its at! You sound like the Michale Shumacker of gem car drivers so your perch mouted switch is working out great for you either that or your some sort of Nija :slight_smile: either way I appreciate your knowledge and bringing us up to speed on your 2007 SE it sounds real nice.

Just mounted the 14" OPT7 light bar today, it has 4700 Lm. No night pics yet but it was working great. Having if mounted down low ensured no drivers were blinded.

How much base (Grabber blue) did it take? I am planning on buying a gallon on Amazon and taking all of my parts to Mexico to have them spray it with their primer, my color, and then cover it with 2 coats of their clear.
Thanks!

I’m guessing 1 galling of Base should do the trick. Keep in mind that I didn’t paint the entire car in grabber blue. The inside of the car was Black, also keep in mind the u see side if the roof. With that said 1 gallon will paint most large cars so you should be fine!