Paniting a GEM

Rascal; I sanded everything with 150- then 220. The all the parts were preped with a plastic adhesion promotor.
Here is a pic of the Primer. This is not my pic but it’s all I could find of the stuff I used.

And here is a pic of the Adhesion Promotor

After all the parts are sanded you wipe them all down with the PPG towel and then apply the promotor. All parts that you use the promotor on need to be sprayed within a few hrs.

BTW: a lot has changed since I used to sand cars in high school. The 1 gallon of Primer, reducer and hardner and adhesion promotor was $380. That was with a body shop discount.

Its been over 50,years since I used to paint cars in my dads body shop. A LOT has changed… back then only lacquir and enamel. Thanks… this is what I wanted to know “plastic adhesion promoter”

Jerry

Gorgeous! Nice color choice. Whats the roof color gong to be?

JESUS Chrysler… That’s Beautiful. I’m assuming by noting the spray booth and how professional the results look that you must do this for a living? Who give a **** what I think? But… I would have done the black areas in Silver… Sorry, just couldn’t keep my mouth shut!

Jerry

The roof is gonna be blue like the rest of the car. Finishing up the roof rack and when that’s all done it’s gonna get spayed and I can finish putting it together

From the pictures it looks like you paint vehicles for a living… Very professional.
If you were in my area (S/W FL), I’d hire you to pain the top of my rear basket Glacier Blue.

Jerry

I left the painting of the car to the pros. My buddy hooked me up big time. He also owns one awesome looking GEM here it is.

^^^^ Funny story about this GEM. My buddy is somewhat of a perfectionist. He wanted to buy a nice Gem and went shopping. he found this 1999 on craigslist.it was in real rough shape but it had a ride for fun motor and supercharger. I think he paid around $2000. And with in about two weeks he had this car completely restored. Never worked on or driven a GEM before and this is his first one. His car is one of the nicest ones I’ve come across he did awesome job on it.

WOW!.. Simply Beautiful. Your buddy really is talented and has a real love of the color black. I can see his influence in your color decisions of your car. Many people love black cars. Dealers sure sell a lot of them. Particularly in the northern snow belt areas. You hardly ever see one here in FL… Unless its a visiting snow turd.

I’ve only owned one black vehicle in my 73 years. A 1954 Mercury 2 door with a Paxton supercharged 1957 312 c.u. T Bird engine I built when I was 16. The car was originally red and my mother made me paint in black. My father owned a auto repair facility in Detroit.

Maybe because my mother made me paint that beautiful red car black or maybe because my one and only black car was so hard to keep clean? I’ve never owned a black car (exterior or interior) since, and that was over 50 +/- cars ago. My current street vehicle is metallic pearl.

Then again, I may (most likely) just be weird? I don’t have any clothing that is green since I got out of the Army 50 years ago…

Kind regards,

Jerry

My GEM is used at my Lake House. And in the summer time it can get real dusty. So for me Black was not a option. My buddys black GEM is also used at his lake house but his side of the lake or comunity is very developed and there is less dust so he can get away with it. If I had my car in the city or a developed Aera black would be a option. Every car Inhave had is been black so I’m familiar with how they go as far as Maintance.

1 Like

Here is the Template for the floor mats Im having made