no response after turn key on

Hi all,

My vehicle model is GEM e4 2021.
I disconnect vehicle battery and have following problem.
when I turn on key switch, the vehicle has no response. (either light, LCD monitor or gauge etc.)
It worked for few times (after dis-connecting battery) , however, it is not working now.
I tried to connect battery back but problem remains.
anyone knows how to solve the problem or how to check where the problem is?

Thanks.

An aux. 12v battery may be dead. It’s needed to power key switch.

I have measure volt of the aux. battery, it looks fine (13V).
any other suggestions?

I disconnect vehicle battery and have following problem.
when I turn on key switch, the vehicle has no response.

Viewing from the outside I find this a very odd expectation.

• What did you think would happen?

Need Background info:
Perhaps there was some sort of hidden reason not yet explained?

• What was your goal? Long term storage?
  • What is the timeline between disconnecting Traction(drive) battery and now → (day/week/month)?

Fixing it?

• What happens when you hook the batteries back up and plug the car in to charge?
2 Likes

I was thinking to reduce the battery capacity decay during storage.
Since the vehicle will not be driven for a while.
the battery was disconnected for about month.
is it possible that some kind of program information in the controller is lost due to disconnect of battery for a month?

I applaud you for thinking about long term storage, but I wouldn’t worry about excess drain if only for a month.
Describe your process when you disconnected the battery.

• Did you unplug the main battery connector at the front of the car?
  • Or disconnected cables at the battery pack?

So you hooked the batteries back up again and nothing happens?

• Verify that you hooked up all the connections again.
  • If you plug in the charger does it see the battery pack and go through a charge cycle?
  • Car display still inactive when charger plugged in?

You noted the voltage of the Acc battery at 13v. Is that with the car plugged in?

• What is the voltage on the traction(main) pack?

is it possible that some kind of program information in the controller is lost due to disconnect of battery for a month?

The manual notes that some user info may be lost in long term storage(clock, trip info, battery performance info) but nothing that should keep the car from booting back up.

1 Like
  • I disconnect cable at battery pack.
  • When I hooked up all connectors back and turn key ON, nothing happen.
  • I tried to plug charger yesterday and found that charging process seem working, display was ON and show corresponding SOC. After SOC is ~50%, I disconnect charger and try to turn key ON again, nothing happen. Do I need to fully charged batter?
  • ACC battery is ~13V when charger is disconnected; ~14V when charger is connected.
  • Voltage of traction battery is ~48V before charging; ~52V after charging.

Try power cycling the auxiliary battery.

Most (all?) of the GEM chargers these days should have a battery monitoring function or trickle charge feature so you can leave it plugged in.

Or, if it doesn’t or you didn’t want to leave it plugged in, why not just turn off the cart’s disconnect switch instead?

In what order did you disconnect and then reconnect the battery leads?
ie: disconnect: +positive then -negative

At any point, did you happen to tap the frame of the vehicle with a battery lead and cause a spark? Even just an itsy-bitsy-teensy-weenie one?

what o you mean power cycling?
auxiliary battery has ~12.7V now.

I am not quite sure the order of disconnecting battery leads.
What happen if I disconnect battery lead in different order?
no spark is observed. I guess some component will be damaged if there’s any spark.

The order is only important in the sense of preventing an accidental short if one of the cable ends contacts the frame. Doesn’t sound like that happened though.

Disconnecting and reconnecting. A long shot, but the normal battery disconnect under hood disconnects both.
Sorry for not being more help. Haven’t had the time to look for what fuses are involved.
Most of them have easy access under hood front of driver.