No "Click" no error code - just not working

I have a 2002 GEM E285. Fully charged when I turn the key the dash lights come on with no error codes then shuts off. No click!
Sent the controller out for a rebuild and when I reinstalled it I am getting the same thing.

I jumped the hand brake, no luck.

Need help!

when I turn the key the dash lights come on with no error codes then shuts off. No click!

Confirm this if you would-

1. Does this happen when you turn the Key ON?
    or
    When you turn the master switch ON?

2. What is the time span from Display ON and then back OFF?

3. When was this car last working?

4. Has your car had the wiring recall/update installed?

Thanks for your response.

1. Yes to the key only
  2. 2 - 4 seconds at best
  3. Last week working perfect with no issues
  4. I have no idea, I have owned the car for the past 5 or 6 years so thats all I can speak of.

What color is the vehicle?

:laughing:

If you had the controller out, you had the dash off. What did all the stuff in front of the passenger seat look like? Open circuit board, silver box or black box with fins?

Ok. It looks like your car has the update installed. On the right of your pic is the box we are looking for. That is a good sign.

Do you have a meter?
Also handy will be a jumper wire with alligator clips. If not available a short piece of wire will do in a pinch.

Under the dash on the pass side up by the windshield will be an odd shaped little black box with 4 wires going to it.
Green, Black, White, and Gray.

Pull off the white and Gray wires and connect them together.
Does your dash light up? (Your main relay might even click)

OMG that worked!!!
Thank you so much! I guess it bypasses the key as well because it comes on with the key on or off.

Now one more question, where can I get this part?

Thanks again

I’m not done with you yet!
We need to test the input side of this thing to see if it is the component or a power issue.

Do you have a meter? Set it to 12Vdc and pull off the green wire and poke the Red test lead from your meter in the connector. Place the Black meter lead on the dash frame and check for power with key on.

If ~12v then pull the Black lead off the component and put your Black meter lead in the Black connector. (Red lead still in the Green connector).

If ~12v then there is power going up to that relay(component).

If anything different report back with your results.

No power testing the green / frame. No power with red on green and black on black.

When you first switch key on and display lights up for a sec, does your horn honk, lights go on? Wipers work for a bit?
Y/N.

Follow this green wire as far as you can. The first thing you will run into is another square thing with a dial on it. Is that crimp in good shape? Test for 12v there.

The wire branches off from there and probably goes to your charger? Y/N? ← verify?

When I turn the key on the screen comes on for a few seconds then turns off but everything else works the whole time the key stays in the on position.
I will have to take apart the wire conduit to trace the green wire. It leaves that relay and goes right into a tons of wires in the Conduit.
After I trace it back I will report back.

Thanks again for all your help. I have been lost! There is no one within 200 miles that works on these so I have been fending for myself with no knowledge of how to repair it.

Joe

Dont worry about taking the harness apart. It’s not worth it… I will help you find it.

Okay thanks! Just let me know my next move.

What is the green line anyway?

Green wire in this case is keyed 12v. We need to find out why it is dead over on this side of the car. It detours briefly through the charger interlock so you don’t drive away when the car is plugged in.

What charger do you have? Silver or Black?

You have 12v switched (accessories working) so your DC Converter is active.

If this is the charger it’s black.

What did I do when I put the grey and white wire together that made it work?

Sorry for the questions just trying to learn / understand.

Thx

On your zivan charger your interlock wires are the top two little wires. One of them is a Red/Grn stripe and the other is our green wire. Jump those two and see if your key works.

The car (Key wire) uses 12v to power a relay (that odd looking cube) to trigger a +72v signal that tells the controller to go on. By connecting the two relayed wires it just energized everything downstream.

Nothing happened when I unplugged both and jumped them. Same as turning the key on. Lights up then shuts off. The green wire is running from the charger to the picture I sent you.

With your meter,
Key ON - Do you see 12v on the small interlock red wire (black probe on dash frame)?

Next, we take the gloves off…

Where did you go Joe?