Newbie to GEM. Help!

I just purchased an older, seemingly fully operational GEM 2-seater and would like to learn how to maintain and repair the car. Batteries (4) have a 1/21 date code. Charger seems to be working. All lights, horn and motor are operational. I see a serial number on the front under the hood but no model number. I ran the serial number through a Polaris vin checker to no avail. Where should I begin to locate a user manual so I can begin to understand what I bought?? Thanks for any direction in advance!

Based on the pics seems like you have an special edition made in collab with BMW :laughing: jk

Vin number should be in a sticker on the roof.
Or in your title. if you remove the seat you’ll find a metal with half VIN

These little things are considered cars that can be titled, make sure the seller gives you the Title.

Once you find the vin Run it and see if the dc dc converter recall has been done.

Make sure to take care of the batteries and add distilled water. Tighten connections and keep them clean,

Is this perhaps an early Trans2? (creatively re-badged as a BMW) Show us a pic of that ser#

Or perhaps JMG has not found the last two batteries yet?

The front hood looks like it has provisions for some sort of headlight bubble that would go over the lights and signals. (Better aerodynamics?) This car was designed to be fast and slippery!!

Also seems like the Display was replaced, can you post a picture of the electronics? Wondering if still has the original speed controller

Thanks for the responses everyone! I’ve learned quite a bit over the last few days.

1. it is in fact an early trans2. According to the serial number it’s number 304Processing: D5B2AFB6-C746-4065-9E19-C15BA628EB40.jpeg…
    Uploading: 5B7B9865-CD58-4B04-B129-7694F27829A3.jpeg…
    Uploading: A0E5594C-B133-4924-AFD5-9D35BFE87227.jpeg…
    Uploading: 68058384-C551-40C1-882F-7D30E3D1204C.jpeg…
    Uploading: FEF0695E-218D-410C-AB31-B01199AED842.jpeg…
  2. there are four 12volt AGM batteries installed with date codes of 1/21. Apparently no water is necessary?
  3. I now have a (similar version) wiring diagram and the owners and service manual.
  4. found the battery to have very loose connections and the horn was inoperable. Everything else seems to work so I repaired the horn switch and tightened up the battery connections. Also checked tire inflation and charged the batteries.

Attached are some additional pictures and I welcome further assistance and comments!

I think I’m ready for a shakedown cruise!

Jim