New Torque Motor

Just Deliverd: High Torque GEM motor. This is a Non Vented High Torque motor. 76 LBS. The Standard D&D or R4F motor is 55 LBS. This motor seems a bit longer then the R4F then I’m used to.

Adding some unknowns to the mix. Or is this going on yours?

Wondering why you need this. Everything I’ve been reading made me think that the stock 5hp was enough for most all applications. What am I missing? I live on a hill surrounded by hills so I’m very curious!

Most E4s with oversized wheels and 4 people inside in a hilly Enviroment will overheat a stock 5 hp. A torque motor will work much better then a standard 7.5 Hp R4F motor for stop and start situations in the hills.

Sounds like I’ll be needing one of those next. Once I get my Volt pack installed over the next week or two I guess I’ll find out if the motor becomes the weak link. Mind if I ask what that set you back?

It $1000 deliverd. The stock motors work well with a light load. But as soon as you load your car up Torque can be a issue. This Gem is going to be used for a Real Estate sales person and he will be shuttlling potential clients in a hilly aera. I had a torque motor in my last car and it would literally climb anything. Traction then became a issue.

1 Like

Any update on this motor? D&d recommended it for my e6 but I can’t really find any info on it

You call that a motor? This is a motor! :slight_smile:
95lb 35 peak hp

induction%20motor

Only kidding. The D&D is the way to go.

Holly Crap! That’s one bad a$$ MO Fo!
95lbs and 35 HP. That’s the ticket right there

Sorry no news to report on the Special Torque motor from D&D. I should have a battery here soon and I’ll be able to report back

Now if someone can help me get it running, you can try it in a Gem.
Don’t hold your breath…

.MVC-002FMVC-006FMVC-013FMVC-012F

Don’t mean to hijack your thread.

Looking for help getting this running.
Seriously, I need help…:slight_smile:

Will the ac motor fit in an 06 gem?

The larger AC motors have some fitmit issues with the older cars. I think you would need to cut the frame hoops that go around the motor. The newer cars 2013 don’t have the hoops that go around the motor. I know that motor will fit on my 2013 if that can work. I can help test.

This one will fit. It’s an ac motor. It’s big brother is a PMAC motor with fitment issues.
I have samples of both.
The real issue is finding support to get them running with cheap sevcon controllers. I say cheap because they are all new old stock from an EV company that went broke.
If cost isn’t an issue, a $1500 Curtis controller should auto-tune and run it just fine.

The surplus Sevcon controllers are 1/2 that. The whole system is under $1k.
BUT, who can make it work?

Maybe I should start a fund. Paid support is $100/hr with no guarantee
I’m into it about $5k. Most of it useful inventory.
A possibility that I can stumble through it myself in 6 Months.
Or not! :slight_smile:
1200 of these available. Any takers?

ps.
This is what the new Gems use. I think!
But this is twice the size.

As long as I’ve completely hijacked Grant’s informative thread.
Here is the unusable PMAC motor. Only 45lb and more powerful than the ac motor.
Designed to move an EV 40mph.
MVC-006F

Super, find an EV place that can help with Sevcon. I’ll send you motor and controller.
I have the file, but I’m told that is only a start. :frowning: