New to the Forum...Looking for advice

Hi Everyone! I am a brand new member to this forum but, I have been interested in Electronic conversions and alternate fuels for some time. I currently have a 1995 ford f150 v8 and have thought about converting it to an EV. Unfortunately I feel that I am lacking in the education department to do it. I have done quite a bit of reading about battery types and motor types, and have even watched quite a few videos about other makes and models of EV’s but, I dont have a lot of mechanical know how and am not quite sure how to get started. I approach this from a position of wanting to lessen my carbon footprint and help the environment but also, I dont want to pay the oil companies anymore (I live on the Gulf of Mexico). I have had enough of oil companies and the fossil fuel industry. In short, I am looking for some help getting started, some advice as to whether you think my truck would be a viable host for electric power, and also maybe some recources to become educated enough to do the work or know what I need to ask for from a trained proffesional.

I was very excited to find this site and I thank you in advance anyone who replies. I cant tell you how important the possibility of change is to me right now.

[QUOTE=Dig;9008]Hi Everyone! I am a brand new member to this forum but, I have been interested in Electronic conversions and alternate fuels for some time. I currently have a 1995 ford f150 v8 and have thought about converting it to an EV. Unfortunately I feel that I am lacking in the education department to do it. I have done quite a bit of reading about battery types and motor types, and have even watched quite a few videos about other makes and models of EV’s but, I dont have a lot of mechanical know how and am not quite sure how to get started. I approach this from a position of wanting to lessen my carbon footprint and help the environment but also, I dont want to pay the oil companies anymore (I live on the Gulf of Mexico). I have had enough of oil companies and the fossil fuel industry. In short, I am looking for some help getting started, some advice as to whether you think my truck would be a viable host for electric power, and also maybe some recources to become educated enough to do the work or know what I need to ask for from a trained proffesional.

I was very excited to find this site and I thank you in advance anyone who replies. I cant tell you how important the possibility of change is to me right now.[/QUOTE]

I am in the same boat as you are, perhaps we can share what we have learned. I have searched all over and found a lot of different Free info and a lot of BS they are trying to sell you. I will compile a list of the links that so far have helped me for you. I have been looking for a Forklift and finally found one today. I live in South Carolina . I have converted a 1988 Mazda Rx7 from a rotary engine to a gas 4.3 chevy engine and transmission, so I have the mechanical ability to do the change over my weakness is in the electrical wiring (funny I can build computers and laptops) but I have no knowledge to the electricals of the ev. If you wish to join forces let me know. Thanks Roger.

Thanks Roger! Sounds good. PM me and I’ll send you some of the info ive found.

Dig and Execelon1,

I have been thinking about and researching conversions for about a year. I’m new to the forum as well, but have a basic grasp of what my conversion will be like.

Everything I have read over the last year tells me your F150 is not the best choice for a conversion - however, that’s not saying it can’t be done. Only that it might not produce the results you’re hoping for.

The ideal “donor” is light weight with a manual tranny - small pickups are easiest because you can put batteries under the bed, they’re generally designed for a higher payload, yet they are lightweight. I started by comparing curb weights & GVWR of various cars & trucks. I decide on the S10 because of its proven track record and variety of conversion designs.

I got a lot of initial information from a book called “Build You Own Electric Vehicle” by Seth Leitman % Bob Brant. Then I branched out from there. There’s a guy in New Zealand - Gavin Shoebridge - who wrote an ebook and has dvds for a step by step on how to do your conversion. Then of course, there’s Bob Batson at EVAmerica.com. I just recently emailed him to ask for help in deciding on a few details. His name has appeared in almost everything I’ve read as well.

Hope this helps. I’m hoping to blog my experiences like many others have. My goal is to have it complete before the end of the summer - definitely before december 31st - so I can get that $4k tax credit. Let me know how things go for your projects…

1 Like

I would certainly look for electric car clubs near where you live and ask questions. take a cruiz thru EV Photo Album: Our Electric Cars on the Web I started off with a motorcycle conversion, #3 is a hybrid electric. there is nothing like hands on experience to hone your skills. my motorcycle is posted here, Alan Clayton’s 1987 Suzuki LS650 Savage Happy motoring

I am also new to this forum and I am very interested in learning about converting cars from gas to electric.

My son just met a guy in SLC Utah that does conversions for people. I am anxiously awaiting the info about his services.

Since I am not real knowledgeable about electronics and cars, I am looking for someone to do the conversion for me.

I look forward to looking at the research you guys are doing.

Electrified Knowledge

Hey All,

I am a new member to his forum interested in building an electric vehicle.
I have done some reading about EV’s and i also have lots of doubts regarding the same so lets share the resources and help each other…

cheers
Munna