New Member here Gem e2

Sorry with the link provided, it’s a bit confusing on AliE. I’ve taken another screenshot from the Powerball website. No more specs available.

And yes, it’s a real 24s battery ( see actual app screenshot of the battery ), that was important for me, after reading the recommendation on here! Some of the 72v I’ve seen on the web are indeed 22s configs only.

These batteries wasn’t meant as a high end solution, but to have something to start with. Couldn’t get any usable juice out of the old agm’s:) for the price, you would get only ONE high quality AGM lead batt.

So far i can’t say, if the communication between two batteries works. Not tested these network function in the app. The BMS is a JBD ( Jiabaida ), normally with passive balancing. I had 3 of this brand in the past and now changed to JK in my 48v battery. With the metal case, it should be possible to replace a JBD with a JK BMS and active balancing?

Ojo

Alibaba normally is b2b only and you have to order at least 100 pcs, correct?

Ojo

It depends on the item. Biggest issue is shipping cost

Are you maybe wanting AliExpress? It’s their consumer site, they sell small quantities.

1 Like

Yes, but they don’t offer the same things, i.e when I was looking for Samsung SDI, there were a lot on Alibaba, nothing to find on AliExpress.

A 100amp battery is unlikely to work properly in a Gem. A 300 amp minimum is recommended. Gem uses 350a controller.

Makes sense Ojo. Although, with the high rate of counterfeit products and QC rejects being sold as premium products on Chinese merchant sites, I just never even thought to look for something like a Korean Samsung SDI battery,

What if he only pushes the pedal down 1/3 of the way? :zany_face:

1 Like

That would help for sure :blush:

Fast accelerating, heavy loads and hills are the real challenges. You’re the GEM experts, but i don’t believe, a GEM will pull 300 + amps att all times. In my math, if actually 60ah available, 2 batteries in parallel = 120a continuous discharge and 240a max. for xx seconds.

My Navitas RXV, with a max. battery discharge allowed in the settings of 200 amps, runs like a champ, but it’s of course an AC drive.

In fairness since we may be working across different languages, Dave didn’t say that, but you are correct in my experience.

I have personally seen over 300, like 312 ish on a hard launch with a load in the bed on my old 2010 eL (“pickup” truck / transporter model), and over 100 amp sustained once at speed while on a grade.

In an e2, you would likely be hard pressed to get the combined weight of 2 people with an additional 600-700lbs of cargo to see numbers that high, but Germany has rolling terrain in some areas, I don’t have that here - the only inclines where I live are overpasses and one very steep, but very short, underpass below a train crossing.

I’m in Northern Germany with no hills at all. With 2 people max. and the lightweight lithium’s / vs very heavy OEM lead batteries, the current draw should be relatively moderate. The steepest incline here in the past, was the driveway of a rented underground garage:)

Earliest when the GEM is drivable, I can really test it.

Ojo

I have (2) complete front ends off my E6 Parts cars

Nice, shipping would be a problem. Pictures?

Ojo

I will get some pics tomorrow. Where are you located?

Best regards,

Bob Moran

Vice President

B & D Plumbing, Inc.

301-252-4457

www.bndplumbinginc.com

Hey @Bndbob
Just to clarify- What year are these e6 parts cars?
And where are you located?

I think a five lug car don’t know the year have to check tomorrow and a 06 + newer

Thank you,
Bob Moran

http://bdplumbing-md.thebluebook.com/

Brake parts and components for GEMs seemed to vary about as much as any other vehicle manufacturer.

Besides the obvious 4 bolt and 5 bolt part differences, some years had multiple different diameter rotors / discs available within the same bolt pattern. Maybe even two different design / service duty rotors in the same diameter and bolt count. Yet in that same year or years for that design / manufacturer you may find that everything used the same caliper and pad regardless of bolt count and diameters. Or different pad options for the same calipers.

Here’s the Polaris parts site link where part numbers can be looked up w/ general wireframe images for the various assemblies:
For the “Product Line” choose “LEV” for all gem cars
Sometimes not every model is listed for a chosen year. I’ve found that often times you can find the right vehicle by going back a year, or two if one won’t cut it, to bring up your correct model vehicle for and find the right part numbers. Other times a model that lists as “Euro” has parts number for US vehicles too. Some years are really screwy…

Thank you, much appreciated Jar Jar!

Took a short look, it started w 2007 models but, that’s very close I think. Good to have OEM part numbers also for alternative parts. No rotors shown in the list…

Ojo

I’m located outside the US in Germany. Shipping of a whole front end would be really difficult.

Polaris refers to the rotor as a “Disc”.

Catalog shows two different diameter rotors / discs for the 4-bolt. Shows only one diameter for the 5-bolt.

On the exploded view page, if you scroll right far enough, there is a “Usage” link that also lists compatible vehicles.

Looks like the calipers and pads may fit all of the three rotors used, so you may be able to work with either size 4 bolt rotor. GEMs being GEMs and Polaris’s website being lame AF, I’d check the rest of the wheel end parts for cross-compatibility before changing sizes. Also, measure the rims (Polaris parts name is “Wheels”) inside diameter, make sure the rotors will fit inside. Clearance is pretty tight.