New heat sink and which fan

Been getting a constant error code 41. Got interested in the “cooling” post a bit ago.
Went on line and found a company…heatsinkusa…that sells heat sinks by the inch with no minimum. They have one that fits the t3 controller like a glove, 7.280 wide and ordered 10” long. $31.00 plus shipping. Sweet!
Just for grins I’m looking to add a fan…but…have no background or source to buy from.
Could someone please walk me thru where and which fan to buy.
Thanks.

You could get one from any Electronic supply shop. It’s a Standard computer/electronics fan that runs on 12volts

I would measure the height of the heat sink and then buy a fan that’s the same height.
I would say something bigger then a 60-70 MM that’s what I have and you can see I could go bigger/move more air.

The Key’d power for fan is right near the Horn.

1 Like

I wonder if a fan is even needed with all that extra surface area.

Good find IRT heatsinkusa. I’ve been shopping ebay for old stock but was too lazy to get off my ass and measure the controller.

make SURE you put a lot of thermal grease between controller and heatsink .

Yep yep. I have plenty of PC building experience under my belt over the years. This is just a much bigger cpu. :smile:

and just to pile on more PC / server tech, maybe a fistful of old server fans would work. They are super small and cheap.
Monstreriously loud is the big negative here, but it seems like you guys are putting them on a switch for emergencies.

Out of curiosity, how did you drill the controller mounting holes? They line up exactly with the fins.
These are the times I wish I had a mill.

Turns out it wasn’t too bad.
Go slow, use tight clamps and above all, go slow.

Risking life and limb for a gif.

The chaos. (this is a 1960 drill press with some “modifications” to DC.)

Finished product.

I actually don’t have a drill press so just drilled them with hand held power drill…then tapped for #10-32 machine screw. Paste…thread lock…done.

Just as yours appear the fins are sort of in the way. So drilled thru…like you…then taped for machine screws that only slightly longer than the solid top plates

Good stuff. Working on my GEM was the excuse I needed to finally pick up a drill press last weekend. I’m always looking for excuses to buy new tools.

That is a mill. :slight_smile:
It just needs an end mill bit in it. You will be surprised what you can do with mill tooling and a cross slide vise.

1 Like

Hah. Funny you mention that. I experimented with an end mill bit on an old cpu heatsink first. Worked fine it was just too big for this application.
I’ve been meaning to buy a chineaseium cross slide vise for just these situations.

If you find a good one, please share.

I have a Wilton, Cross slide Vice it’s awesome
Wilton 11696 6-Inch Cross Slide Drill Press Vise https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009E0EA3A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZaUqDbS6R4ZCG

you don’t do anything cheap that’s for sure @grantwest

I have a cheap Chinese one that works fine.

Yeah that Wilton vice costs as much as the drill press I’d be mounting it to. :slight_smile: I’m sure it’s nice but I wouldn’t use it enough to justify it.

1 Like

You know I have an old tabletop drill press sitting doing nothing next to my full sized one. I might convert it into one of those hobbyist/hacked together mills. Perfect for aluminum or pine.

Was hoping to see if this did help or solve any issues with code 41 issues.

First I replaced the cables from controller to the motor with 2/0 @16" and cleaned the contacts and it was 95% better on the error 41. Then I did the heatsink with thermal grease. Not a single issue with overheating… Yet.