Need new batteries?

Charges fully, shows over 12 volt on all batteries, but drive it and take it down 3 lines and the turtle shows up. If I need new one what do I get?

1 Like

I’m guessing(you didn’t say) you are talking about some lead-type batteries and those are literally devoid of capacity at 12.0V and at 50% capacity at 12.2V and anything below this is usually damaging the battery chemistry enough to start limiting the storage capacity.

Fully charged your 12V lead-type batteries should show 12.7V(+/- 0.1) an hour or more after the charge stopped. During charging you’ll often see over 13.x volts and sometimes even low 14.x volts.

The turtle shows up when the overall pack voltage goes below a threshhold level set in your controller.
Not knowing the year and model of your vehicle there’s no guessing which controller you have. And if you drive it for 5-20 miles and get a turtle then drive it less before recharging and problem is solved.

1 Like

There are a few things that might be zapping your batteries that quickly, or maybe the batteries are simply clapped out.

Need more info on what year gem, what batteries are in it, how much driving you use use it, the terrain, the ballpark area of about where you are in the country. And, most important, your budget.

1 Like

Age of batteries? IF beyond 3-4 years old, start considering/investigating new ones. I saw the same symptoms (Turtle), went lithium and never saw the turtle again.

1 Like

What year Gem?
2005 to 2015 a new Samsung battery is the easiest of all battery swaps. $2750
About 30 mile range.

1 Like

@AssyRequired may be of assistance. Battery will fit early Gem as well, with modification to battery tray.

2005 Gem E4, batteries are called “econo power” - i think they are re-furbished

1 Like

Samsung is perfect fit for 2005.

Best Diagnostic test for Lead Acid batteries is a Load tester. Simply checking battery voltage doesn’t provide enough diagnostic information. You need to put the battery under a load and see how it performs. Here is the one I have from Harbor freight for $20. It is easy to test each individual battery and does not require unhooking other batteries.

1 Like

charge lights behind drivers side tire show a red and a yellow…Means?

Yellow usually means AC Present ← It’s plugged in
Red could mean a bunch of things. It blinks a pattern. Count the number of flashes between the pause.

Most common is a Red(2). It means Battery V is out of expected range. This could mean your pack has dipped below 68v and it won’t even try to charge it (there are other means of recovery from this)
-or -
You forgot to turn on your Master Battery Switch.

What does your dash show when you turn the key?

Morning, I just checked the red light it blinked twice between pauses

K- Sounds like you are all set then.

sorry, what do you mean - all set? It is not charging do I need to check a certain battery or as I have been thinking, I just need new batteries.

Sorry. Misunderstood.
Is your batt switch is turned on? With a meter- measure the voltage at the POS and NEG on the controller. What do you get?

It sounds like your batteries are really tired and have dipped below the Threshold Voltage.

You could try checking all of your batteries and looking for a low one. Boost that low battery and see if your charger will kick in.

But from what I see from here…
yes, your batteries are fairly whupped.

Thank you, Kind of waiting till new year to find some new batteries

Lastly, can I assume if I buy the same type battery (liquid), no update to computer needed?

Thank you, Kind of waiting till new year to find some new batteries

Have you verified that its set correctly for flooded lead acid? Until that point, no should not make that assumption.

Seen a lot of people come through here with GEMs they are the second owner of and the new lead bateries that were installed when yhey bough it are shot. Why, charger was still set to gell.

assy reqd helped me set to lead acid when I bought, so no action necessary

1 Like