Sign of the Turtle

I’ve got a 2010 Gem E2 and latley I’ve had problems with it going into the “Low Voltage” mode (trutle flashing):confused: on the insturment panel! I checked the batterys and found 2 that had dead cells in them. Both were in the rear compartment. I replaced them with Napa Deep cycle RV batterys Group 31 12 V. I just ran the car and everything was going well,until I hit the 4 mile mark on the trip meter,then there was the turtle flashing again?:jaw: The turtle is supposed to show a high,or low voltage condition,and the system goes into a “safe mode” (reduced power) while it’s flashing. What else could cause this? I’m at a loss,and the Chrysler dealer I purchased the car from dosen’t want to help,since Polaris Ind. has taken the cars over!:mad: Ron

You’re not going to like what I have to say. We had the turtle for a couple of years, and it means that you will need to replace batteries. Maybe all of them. Sorry.

Most Chrysler dealers were less than useless anyway. Find a mechanic and get him to talk to Arlen Lemley at Gem. He’s the best.

I use the NAPA batteries as well and have had great luck with them on our four GEMs. NAPA part number 8272 is actually a Dekka group 31 GEL battery. These last us an average four to five years. How did you test the batteries? The handheld load testers sold at auto parts stores are not strong enough to test these large batteries when fully charged, so I test them discharged. If using a volt meter, make it an accurate one. How I test batteries is to drive the GEM until it is very discharged and then test voltage. Worn out batteries will be the first to loose voltage. Then check the batteries with a load tester. Compare the results. I replaced a battery today. Here are my results:

2002 GEM long bed 6X group 31 GEL

discharged voltage test: discharged load test:
(Fluke model 87 VOM) (10 seconds @ 75 Amps load bank)

13.0 pass - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - green pass
13.1 pass - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - green pass
12.8 marginal - - - - - - - - - - - - - - yellow fail

The pattern clearly shows which battery is bad. I believe that replacing all six batteries at the same time is a huge waste of money.

Daniel

[QUOTE=Revi;11157]Most Chrysler dealers were less than useless anyway. Find a mechanic and get him to talk to Arlen Lemley at Gem. He’s the best.[/QUOTE]

Thanks,for the advice!:slight_smile: I’ve been having a hard time finding battery’s here (central Illinois) and have been told to use everything from “wal mart” battries,to the NAPA batterys! Some have told me to look at group 31 battery’s for RV’s.:confused: I’d like to get a set of Trojan battery’s,but they are around 1200.00,and with 1290 miles on the car,so far it figures out to about a dollar a mile,without including the electricty,for recharging.:frowning: Ron

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;11160]I use the NAPA batteries as well and have had great luck with them on our four GEMs. NAPA part number 8272 is actually a Dekka group 31 GEL battery. These last us an average four to five years. How did you test the batteries? The handheld load testers sold at auto parts stores are not strong enough to test these large batteries when fully charged, so I test them discharged. If using a volt meter, make it an accurate one. How I test batteries is to drive the GEM until it is very discharged and then test voltage. Worn out batteries will be the first to loose voltage. Then check the batteries with a load tester. Compare the results. I replaced a battery today. Here are my results:

2002 GEM long bed 6X group 31 GEL

discharged voltage test: discharged load test:
(Fluke model 87 VOM) (10 seconds @ 75 Amps load bank)

12.8 marginal - - - - - - - - - - - - - - yellow fail

The pattern clearly shows which battery is bad. I believe that replacing all six batteries at the same time is a huge waste of money.

Daniel[/QUOTE]
Daniel,I checked the voltage,and gravity of the battery’s. The rear two batterys had 12.60 volts,but had a cell in each one that showed no specific gravity at all? So I replaced them with the battery’s you mentioned. The battery I replaced the orginal battery’s with is a “wet” cell part # BAT 8231. My car came with wet cell battery’s. It has a Delta Q charger,but I’m not sure how to change it over to “gel cell” batterys? Ron

If the gravity gave no reading, you were correct to replace the batteries. If both the old and new batteries are “wet” flooded batteries, there should be no need to reprogram the charger. Elsewhere in this forum is the Delta-Q manual. The manual will explain how to change the programing whenever the battery type is changed.

Daniel

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;11175]If the gravity gave no reading, you were correct to replace the batteries. If both the old and new batteries are “wet” flooded batteries, there should be no need to reprogram the charger. Elsewhere in this forum is the Delta-Q manual. The manual will explain how to change the programing whenever the battery type is changed.

Daniel[/QUOTE]

Thanks,I’ll try and find it! I’ve ordered 6 battery’s (should be here Sat). I’ll have to reprogram the Q charger for the Gel Cells. I’ve been wanting to get away from the “wet” battery’s anyway as it’s a lot of work keeping them topped off,and checking them every 30 days. I’m thinking these batterys (the one’s you mentioned) are the same as the Delka Gel Cell batterys? Ron