My 09' is no longer charging and a few other questions

I plug it in, hear the charger click on, leave on for a few hours,nothing. Unplug the ext cord- watch the symbol turn off on the dash and very little has happened. Started doing this about a month ago. Just wont put a serious charge on the batteries.

Batteries are 2 years old and never pushed hard, never overheated, never frozen. They are gels…

What can I test?

Secondly; Need to replace motor anyway do to oil leak so I want to upgrade to to a bigger motor 11 horsepower if possible. Any does or dont here? Noticed the oil leak a while ago, I have cleaned the motor a few times but now its time to swap.

Thirdly, Will need to get shaft seal so I dont oil out/up the new motor up straight away.Who has the new oil seals on the forum? I forgot who does them. Old Houseboater is it you?

Look for the flashing error light on the charger. It should tell you the problem. If charger finishes cycle to green light the batteries are full charged. What is the indication that it is not charging?

1 Like

The dash indicator says 3 bars. I have not put a meter on the batteries yet. Will do that soon. Will check charger tomorrow for codes tomorrow.

Don’t trust the dash soc.
Trust meter and status less on charger.

There is a red blinking light on the charger with one yellow under it. I have never seen/looked at or noticed the lights before. I have no idea of their meaning.

The red one is the fault light. Count the blink code

Correct Gem faults.
My bad!

It is only blinking the one time. battery high voltage? What will cause this? What will fix this?

Good question.
Possibly a bad connection from battery to charger. Check voltage under dash where charger connects to plus and minus, while restarting charger.
It might be that certain battery conditions can cause high voltage to appear at charger connection.
Most common battery/charger problem is connections at battery terminals.
If you can’t test them, disconnect them and clean till bright and tight. As Rodney would say.

Hi
if you have Gem 2009 your problem is with temperature,and charger switch off
need to look under seat if any cable are defective on temp sensor on battery negative pole

I have used flight systems to rebuild my charger with great success. They can also sell you a motor too. http://www.fsip.biz/

Checked all the batteries and as usual it was 1 very slightly loose terminal on one of the back batteries. Ran over them all to check, plugged her back in and she is off to the races.

Now its time for some homework on motors-controllers and speed.

1 Like