Motor disassembly help

I’m trying to tear down my factory GE 7 hp motor and it doesn’t want to come apart and I don’t want to break anything trying. I’ve removed the motor from the car and removed the 2 bolts from the bearing end. Should the housing now slide off? It will separate about a quarter inch from the aluminum end cap but that seems to be as far as it will go. Does the fan on the input end need to be removed somehow? How do I completely take this apart?

Thanks Derrick

oldhouseboater is your man on this one .

@Old_Houseboater do I need to remove the 3 screws around the speed magnet to take this apart?

I’m curious to know, what prompted the tear down?

The motors got a crack on the end section, I can’t find a used motor and figured I’d take a stab at it before dropping the $900+ for a new one. Motor works fine but I don’t want it coming apart going down the road.

Gotcha, now I recall your previous thread where you shared that photo. I have a motor with bad armature windings. Unfortunately it’s not the same motor otherwise I’d offer you that part.

The motor has 4 brushes that are spring loaded breading against the com. You need to reach In and pull back the springs from the com, the springs have a post that allow you to rest the springs on the post so you don’t have the pressing on the com.

I think you’re a step ahead of me, here’s where I’m at.

it seems like the windings (or magnets?) on the outer sleeve is hitting the fan blade on the input shaft, preventing me from sliding the 2 apart. I’m assuming the the comm. is attached at the speed sensor side and the grey housing (sleeve) should slide off and then you would separate the comm. from the brushes?

Slide the armature out the shaft end.
Is the magnet on end of shaft off?

Yes the speed magnet is still on the shaft and the shaft is securely seated in the bearing and the bearing is seated in the end cap. Are you saying that the end cap should come off the shaft and then the shaft gets pulled out (in the down direction on my picture) from the housing? Also there is no clips to hold back the brush springs as grantwest suggested.

I have removed the 2 bolts that hold the aluminum end section to the grey housing as well as the 3 screws around the speed sensor. I stood the motor on the aluminum end and tried pulling up the grey housing but it seems to be catching on something after about a quarter inch.

Clips are only needed to put the armature back in.
The armature should fall out if nothing is on the end of the shaft.
I don’t know how the magnet is attached.

The armature should fall out of what? The aluminum end piece? I’m trying to separate the aluminum end piece from the grey piece. I guess I need an order of operation on what gets taken apart. My assumption was that the grey piece and aluminum end piece get separated first and the the shaft gets pulled from the aluminum end piece. Sorry I don’t know the technical name for the parts.

JPG

We’re you able to take it apart? I’m having the same issue

Yes, you need to take the 2 bolts out of that are on the perimeter of the end cap as well as the 3 screws in the center. It’s probably not a bad idea to try and pull the brushes back (I didn’t, I think I did it after I separated it more). The end bearing is a press fit on the shaft as well as the housing, I took a wooden dowel and tapped on the end of the shaft to get it apart ( or use a shop press).