Cracked motor housing

While working on trying to change out a arm bushing today, I noticed my motor had a crack down the end of it. Ami ok to keep using this? I’ve heard of people’s motor going bad and ruining their motor controller and I definitely don’t want to do that. It’s a stock 7hp motor. IMG_1402

I dont think i would . If that motor comes apart at speed or worse yet locks up on you , it will be bad . Send it to oldhouseboater . He has fixed 2 motors for me . Is it a GE 7hp ?

Yes, It’s the stock GE motor

I concur with @LithiumGods. If I saw a motor in a condition like that at my plant, it would be locked out and there would be a new one on order before the coffee break was over.

IMO, you’re very lucky that thing hasn’t come apart yet. that casing looks to be barely hanging on. If that splits all the way down, you could lose the motor. As it sits right now, you might be able to get it repaired / rebuilt.

Is this something I can repair myself? I’m fairly smart and mechanically inclined but I’ve never taken apart a motor before. The motor could use a going through while it’s apart also since I’m sure the inside is just as corroded as the outside and everything else on the car and I think that’s where some excessive noise is coming from.

You think the motor head is the same on a 3- or 5- or 7 do you think you could take the motor head off a 3 Hp and put it on a 5 or 7

I don’t know if they’re all the same or not but I was thinking if it can all be be taken apart that it could be welded back together.

Weld the motor head back together???
Umm my 2c just buy a new used motor $300 is pretty common