Motor Controller

I am trying to find a series motor controller, when i was looking at motor controllers, I guessed that the amperage of the controller needed to be higher (or equal to) the amps of the motor. Am a right? I find it odd that i have a very large motor that says 133amps but a 250amp controller is considered very small and cheaper than the rest. Am i missing something, or is this controller adequate? It is a series motor, 48v.

[QUOTE=Hayden;6530]I am trying to find a series motor controller, when i was looking at motor controllers, I guessed that the amperage of the controller needed to be higher (or equal to) the amps of the motor.It is a series motor, 48v.[/QUOTE]The current rating of the controller should be many time the max current rating of the motor in order to produce maximum peak horse power and torque.

If you look at the custom golf cart after market and motors and controllers you will see this. DC motors basically come in two flavors for EV service; series and shunt would, golf carts use both types. Any way I have converted a few golf carts and my newest creation uses an Altrax 750 amp controller on a continuous 6 hp (24 peak), 48 volt motor. Rated full load current of the motor is 100-amps.

Electric motors can and are loaded WAY beyond the name plate ratings for periods of time. How much and how long a task takes determines the “service factor”. The same motor can have different power ratings for different tasks. A prime example is the starter on your car. It works EXTREEMLY hard for a few seconds then can cool of between the next events. A continuous duty pump motor is rated differently than a golf cart motor. When accelerating your 5 HP cart motor can be pumping out 12 HP. This is why the smallest controllers are 350 Amp.

Hi Rodney. Why is your post above showing as a reply to me? I’ve never posted in this thread until now. Also it appears as if your explanation might be answering one of the above posters.

Not a big deal, but odd how / why the software dragged me into a thread I never even read until now.

Wrong “J” . The new “J” got the boot!

Yep, you’re right @Inwo . I read the post on my phone and it didn’t have the names next to the blue “J”.

Mea Culpa.