Did I Get The Wrong Controller?

Originally I planned on buying a 72 volt controller but because of money I settled for the Alltrax AXE 4834. The AXE is the model that is programmable. The 48 means it’s a 48 volt and the 3 means it’s 300 amps for those of you not familiar with the Alltrax brand. I landed one for around $150 bucks on eBay ( = score ! )

Anyway I would like to commute on my motorcycle conversion (Suzuki Katana GSX600F) however my top speed is barely 40 MPH with an average of 30 MPH just a bit shy of what I would feel comfortable with on busy city streets. My one way distance is just shy of 10 miles. I weigh a tad bit north of 200 lbs suited up.

I am currently running a 12 tooth front sprocket and a 47 rear. I just ordered a 13 tooth sprocket for the front and it should show up any day now. I know that gearing will help, but I am just trying to avoid any self imposed bottle necks.

When I bought this controller my logic went lie this. Why do I need anything more than the 300 amps if my MARS ME0709 motor is rated at 125 amps continuous and 300 amps peak. Right?

Well what I have learned during my two year conversion is that there is a set of heuristics or rules of thumb one must be aware of in the world of electricity. For instance what we call a 12 volt battery like you find in your car, is anything but, it’s really a 13.6 battery and at 12 volts it’s considered dead. And one would think at 6 volts it’s 50% depleted… WRONG!

Also a 48 volt motor can be “over volted” to say 60 volts. OK, but a controller can not be “over volted” because it will cause a puff of black smoke. And word on the street is that a 300 amp controller may only be a 275 amp controller and a 400 amp controller really only a 350 amp controller, see where I am going with this? Some specs go one way, others the other, it’s what keeps me up at night, LOL.

So considering the optimistic marketing specs of controllers would I get more umph out of the next model up i.e. the AXE4844 which runs up to 400 amps? Did I buy the wrong controller?

I know that ultimately I would like to go to the AXE7245 (72 volts, 400 amps) but that will be costly as I will need two more batteries, a different charger, a new solenoid, etc…

Usually you may leave more leeways for the electronic controller.
Actually 10V is dead for 12V battery.13.6V is full.
If the voltage is below 10V,that is to say,the battery cell is damaged.
The controller can work with a wide range.
Some other 48V controllers can work between 18V and 60V.
You can use the motor and controller in the range the supplier specified.

As of 0709 motor,400A controller is the best choice if we consider the leeway.The controller won’t be overloaded.And it can work well without getting hot quick.The efficiency will be high.
Otherwise 300A controller may get hot quick.

Fany