Low Power

New to the forum. We have a 2005 Gem E-2 with a little over 5,000 miles on it. I replaced the batteries with Trojan gel batteries. I also changed the charger last year with a Ride-for-fun unit which worked perfectly. We live in East Texas and go to Northern NM to dodge the summer heat. This year, the Gem was fully charged, awaiting our arrival. No charging the batteries individually.
My interest in the forum is to share and learn from others how to enjoy our EV’ s.
I am currently experiencing a problem with premature loss of power. At about 50% on my state of charge gauge I lose power, the turtle comes on and I have to tow it home. No error codes appear, just that damn turtle!

Help

Suggest you do a reset the SOC function. Charge the battery pack overnight. Unplug the charger. Wait 2 hours for the surface charge to bleed off then:

1. Turn the key on.
  2. Push and release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch until it’s showing the
    odometer.
  3. While holding the switch down, turn the RIGHT signal on, then the LEFT
    signal, then
    return the blinker to the center.
  4. Release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch. You should be seeing data (P0105) on
    the display now.
  5. Turn the RIGHT signal on, then off repeatedly until the display reads:
    SOC (State Of
    Charge).
  6. Push and release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch. Now it’s remaining capacity in
    percent.
  7. You can now raise (or lower, for that matter) the SOC with the blinker
    switch.
  8. When you’re happy, Push and release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch. The display
    reads: DONE.
  9. Turn the key off.

Rodney

Thank you for your input. I followed your instructions with the following results:
Instead of (P0105) I got (P0101) and the SOC read 99. Took it for a spin, it runs great but the speedometer is way high. ( I know I wasn’t doing 70!) the odometer jumped from 6,200 to over 8,200.

Thanks again for bearing with me,

Paul Rabuck

Kinghappy and Inwo jump in here

Rodney

No clue.
Mine reads P200 when entering program mode.
As no one seems to know what other settings do, it might be related to an inadvertent change.

Try a power reset?

I would go thru some of the other settings, but don’t want to mess things up.
I’ve only changed SOC.

Let me see if my other Gem reads P200.

2010 reads P203.
Means nothing to me.

[quote=Tubbaaggie;32405]Thank you for your input. I followed your instructions with the following results:
Instead of (P0105) I got (P0101) and the SOC read 99. Took it for a spin, it runs great but the speedometer is way high. ( I know I wasn’t doing 70!) the odometer jumped from 6,200 to over 8,200.

Thanks again for bearing with me,

Paul Rabuck[/quote]

The first time I set the SOC I inadvertently also changed the display from mph to kph - miles to kilometers. Could you have done the same?

See page 24 in http://cdn.polarisindustries.com/GEM...ers_Manual.pdf to change it back.

If you have KPH hold the trip switch for 10 to 12 seconds

Spoke with Jim of Ride-4-fun and found out that my batteries are AGM and not gel. Apparently, there is an algorithm change for different types of batteries and I need to set the charger to F-4 instead of F-1. He also felt that my batteries are suspect so I’ll do a load next week.
Thanks to all for the help. I’ll keep you posted.
Paul

Is that only newer cars?

Ran a load check on the 6 batteries. The CCA for Trojans is supposed to be 875. 3 tested fine, 2 were rated poor at 590 & 610 while one came in at 155! Definitely the culprit. Changing it out, but what about the 2 that were in the600 range?
The kph vs mph fixed the speedometer problem and we changed the algorithm to F-4 from F-1…
Thank you to the forum for all of the help. Certainly could not have done it without you.
Paul