Lithium options for 2002 e4

Hi All,

Had some time to make some more progress and started wiring up the BMS today. For some reason the BMS is only recognizing up to cell 14. The JK BMS has two connectors, one for cells 1-14 and another for cells 15-24. For some reason the BMS is only recognizing cells 1-14. I’ve confirmed that I’ve wired the connectors right, pins B1-B22 steadily show increased voltage up to 72v which is the total state of pack charge right now and pin B+ is also wired direct to the total positive terminal. Both Pins B+ and B22 show 72v however the BMS only recognizes 42v and up to cell 14. Does something need to be done to “activate” the second connector. Could I have gotten a bad BMS? By the way I purchased model number JK-B2A24S20P.

Thanks again for any guidance!

First guess would be Cell Count in app may be set to 14?

Can you post a clean pic of the top of your battery?
Also a screen shot of your app when viewing Status page.

My first post here.
First question. Will everyone who posted before me see this comment?

I think there are a few here that can an educated direction to go in.

I just purchas mt first Gem.
2015 e4.
Batteries are dead.

I have some LFP prismatic cells i could put in.
And i have some excellent gen 1 nissan leaf cells. And some gen 1 leaf cells at 66% soh.

Can i drop these in or does something need to be reprogramed? Or a different controller? Different charger
Thanks…

Charger numbers. Can this charge lithium batteries?

Sure! Cells are set to 22. Here’s some pics. You’ll notice a few of the crimp connections failed and I’ve just tapped directly while I wait for more to arrive. I have used my multimeter to check that each one starting with b1 increases by 3.1v and it does go all the way up to 72

That is a weird one.
I’m guessing that you tried fully powering down the BMS and booting it back up again? The cell resistances in the lower table will eventually fill in.

See that yellow message about View all alarms? Tap on that. What is it saying in there?

I don’t think it matters, but do you have the Blue Leg of the BMS hooked up to B-? I don’t see it yet.

Balance wires 23 and 24 not being used? If you poke at the little exposed catch on the wire collector those wires will come out. (or cut the wires off so they are out of the way.

Bal wire 22 and the last wire on the large collector going to B+?
Is the large collector inserted or wired upside-down/reversed? (I;m not sure this is possible, but interesting concept.

When you say you checked the balance wires for increase, did you check at the little connector block where it plugs into the BMS? (the little tabs are good for this). Note- If you push too hard, the little wires fall out of the plug.

With good light and maybe a good magnifier, look into the BMS where you insert the balance wire plugs. Is pin 15 missing?

Hi AssyRequired,

Great thoughts as always!
Tried resetting several teams.
View all alarms is just giving a cell number mismatch error and a change password message
Blue Leg was hooked up to B-
Good idea on pulling out those balance wires 23 and 24 to make it more clean
Balance wire and the last wire on P2 are connected to the total postiive on the battery that shows 72v.
And yes I did put a multimeter to each pin on the connector and verified the voltage was right for each pin, and Pin 15 is there. Sounds like I might just have a bad BMS

it is showing 0 resistance on all connections, something is diffidently wrong. Setting look right and if wired correctly it has to be a bad bms.

Hi All!

Long overdue for an update. I did indeed have a bad BMS. I’m now all wired up and running. I built a temporary wood box for the pack up front. The pack didn’t fit as well as I hoped and the front facia doesn’t close as well as it should. The pack was just 2" too high for its depth. I could mount it sideways like the picture below but my real goal now is to get it under the rear seat.

So far this thing is quick! Higher voltage , plus removing about 150lbs of batteries sure makes it go!

Couple next steps.

1. It is charging with my original deltaQ, but it cuts off at 84v. How do I get a profile and a rental of the delta Q programmer to get this thing to charge up to 88v?

2. I’ve only got about 1/2" clearance between the two frame rails and the battery pack, but I’m thinking if I have an aluminum or sheet metal battery box built I can fit it right here. @AssyRequired , you know anyone here in SoCal that does metal work like that?

Otherwise so far so good. However this would have been much easier to just buy one of the ready built packs off this forum.

Profiles are not yet available to general public.
One of a few on here will program your charger for $100 to $150.
Using one of the profiles for our battery.