Lithium batteries getting installed in San Diego club

Do you have a link to the batteries?
What car is this going in?

Go back up to the top of this thread and read down. Does this more/less apply to your build? Partly yes&no because you are running series.

But what can you pull out of your batteries?

Yes, run away. How much money did you save over a $2750 tested one piece battery that works.

Is it that LFP isn’t a good battery chemistry for vehicles or is it that the installers aren’t designing the systems well? The article i linked to is not the only source i’ve read that says LFP lasts longer than most of the other lithium chemistries.

Anyway, for me personally, it might be moot because i certainly can’t design my own battery system better than you guys. What’s the latest offering from the Inwo/LithiumGods cartel?

We know what works best in real life. I sold thousands of lfe cells and they worked good for what they were. Most were made in usa. No longer possible.
Chinese cells are a crap shoot.

Samsung sdi for medium range easy instal.
sam 22s on shelf

@SURFGUYGLEN where are you located? Socal? There are a couple of us out here that can help. The Samsung SDI pack is a SUPER easy install.

Could be, I don’t know, maybe cost, That’s only for the cheapest version of the cheapest model they produced I think in 2020-2021 I don’t know if they are still producing it

Yes.

Lfp are kind of like veneral disease for your GEM.

First year only. Torque curve was insane on the first Sparks. Could out pace a ferrari on launch if the TCS was off. LFP battery was like 400 amp, 450 lbs. It was huge.

They basically took off the shelf electrical parts and slammed them into a bottom of the line eco-shytbox car to satisfy a California and Oregon demand for an electric car to counteract their big truck sales. The high performance on first year of release was actually an accident

I am in San Clemente, close enough. I would be very grateful for some local knowledge on how best to do an upgrade. Talk to me goose!

@SURFGUYGLEN -
What car do you have?
What is your goal with this car?
What does your neighborhood look like? (San Clemente is not flat).
What is your skill set?
What is in your tool box?

I have a GEM E2 2002. My goal is a little more speed 30-35, better range, and better hill climbing. I have the INWO MM installed and that helped a bit. For now I’m concentrating on the battery upgrade. Perhaps motor later on.

I thought I was dialed with the new DQ for lithium and the three 24v lithiums but sounds not the best approach.

My skill set: I built my own home, make my own bullets and beer, and wrap my own fishing poles. I can’t weld aluminum or own a mill but I have just about every other tool a DIY dude could find a space in his 600 square foot work shop for. I’m not an electrical engineer but given some good direction, I can do anything:)

No 02s. Or capes.
Especially No capes.

Oh wait makes his own beer, ok.
Rusty is in the club.

I’m gonna need a bigger box

1 Like

I want one. What are the specs and how do I get one?

1 Like

Check your private messages.

The biggest improvement you can make for hill climbing and speed is to increase the voltage in your Gem. All of our battery packs do this. They go from 80v to 96v. The premade 72v batteries won’t come close to the power you will get out of the mid voltage 88v Samsung pack with a 350a BMS. Night and Day. People read about our lithium upgrades and assume all lithium will have the same results, it wont.

3 Likes

I’m at a bit of a point of lost, I was just about to click the purchase button on the big battery falcon 72v 2x kit based on a recommendation and then I decided it would be in my best interest to do a quick review search and ended up here. I have a 2002 gem e825 that currently has wet cells with the ride-4-fun super charger in it, I’m over have to add water every few week and only get a range of about 2 miles before it dies with about 50ish percent showing. I’m fairly hand and good at following a set of instructions but for the life of me I can’t figure out what my best option is for battery replacement. Any directional help would be awesome and appreciated?

Hi RWhit,
How are you using your car?
Besides the lack of range, what else would you like your car to do that it is not?
What other mods have you done to the car? (motor, wheels, brakes)
What terrain are you using the car in? (campground, street, level, hills?)
What is in your toolbox?
Where are you located?

I’m in Northern California and the car is used for basic daily short run trips, to and from school drop type stuff. It is pretty flat here overall but I would go up a small hill if I thought the battery could actually handle it. No serious mods done other than installed the new charger as the original one died on me a few years ago, I do have the mm but see little improvement likely due to the weak batteries I’m thinking. I pretty much have every tool know to man as we own a construction company. My main goal is really just to have a car with batteries that I can rely on and don’t have to constantly add water to.

1 Like