Interesting No Go Issue 2000 E825

Contactor started acting up, sometimes would not engage. Key switch and emergency brake switches ok. Turn key on, 0000 flashes, then the mileage flashes, then the indicator goes out. No 04 error code with brake on. Intermittent power to terminal 2 (gray and white wire) on controller. I started checking connections with the power and key on. Every once in awhile the indicator would flash on. Long story short, it was the J115F31A12VDCS.9 relay. When I bumped it, it would momentarily engage. It is hidden above the dc-dc converter and below large timing relay. You can order an exact replacement at Digi Key for under $10. I used a SPDT 12V 40 Amp relay from a parts house for testing, however, it was not an exact replacement; mounting holes different and spade connectors different sizes and not recessed into the relay.

Excellent sleuthing there dwfman!

That pesky relay is indeed a known problem. I haven’t quite figured out why (nobody has ever explained) that odd relay is even used in that location. It’s role is merely using a 12v Keyed source wire and switching a B+ wire going to the controller. I haven’t put a meter on it, but there isn’t much current going through it either, so it’s not like it has to be a high current relay either.

Personally, I think swapping it out with a common and available automotive 12v cube (Bosch) is perfectly fine.

The harness connectors can be switched out with a number of different mounts that make a future relay swap a single plug and play.

Good that you are back running and (even better) more stable and found an issue that would leave you stranded. Carry on!

Thanks for the comments. I just received the relay and installed it today. Gem Car is back to its normal, nasty self!

For those that aren’t familiar with this relay, I’ve attached a couple of pictures.
The lower relay is the one that failed.

It sits directly below the timer relay pictured here: