Important agm users

Many of you have AGM batteries and have your charger set on the Gel setting because you do not have an AGM (SLA) setting.

To put this issue to bed I asked The Vmax people, manufacturer of AGM batteries for clarification.

Many of our ZIVAN and Delta Q CHARGERS do NOT have an SLA/AGM setting. They have Flooded and Gel. Should we be using the Flooded setting with the VMax. The dealers have been installing SLA/AGM batteries and leaving them on the Gel setting and after about 2 years rapid loss of performance occurs. Most of the owners don’t have any Idea of specifications of their chargers. They only know they have 2 settings. Owners are going back to Gel or flooded batteries rather than buying or updating their charger.

Note: The 2 brands of chargers mentioned are 3 stage units that are factory installed in over 95% of NEV’s and GOLF CARTS since 1999

Rodney Diehl Moderator Electric Vehicle Forum
251-269-3182

Vmax Staff (Abraham)

12/3/2015 12:03:10 PM
Since they are 3 stage chargers, then as long as the charging voltage is between 14.4V and 14.9V for the flooded batteries, it would be a better choice than the GEL setting if it is under 14.4V-which is more than likely the case. Please check with charger manufacturer to confirm maximum charging voltage before you make your selection.

Thank You Abraham

1 Like

No info from interstate per my request.:frowning:

Not sure about my dq settings.
Wonder if you could forward my graph?

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;28204]Many of you have AGM batteries and have your charger set on the Gel setting because you do not have an AGM (SLA) setting.

To put this issue to bed I asked The Vmax people, manufacturer of AGM batteries for clarification.

Many of our ZIVAN and Delta Q CHARGERS do NOT have an SLA/AGM setting. They have Flooded and Gel. Should we be using the Flooded setting with the VMax. The dealers have been installing SLA/AGM batteries and leaving them on the Gel setting and after about 2 years rapid loss of performance occurs. Most of the owners don’t have any Idea of specifications of their chargers. They only know they have 2 settings. Owners are going back to Gel or flooded batteries rather than buying or updating their charger.

Note: The 2 brands of chargers mentioned are 3 stage units that are factory installed in over 95% of NEV’s and GOLF CARTS since 1999

Rodney Diehl Moderator Electric Vehicle Forum
251-269-3182

Vmax Staff (Abraham)

12/3/2015 12:03:10 PM
Since they are 3 stage chargers, then as long as the charging voltage is between 14.4V and 14.9V for the flooded batteries, it would be a better choice than the GEL setting if it is under 14.4V-which is more than likely the case. Please check with charger manufacturer to confirm maximum charging voltage before you make your selection.

Thank You Abraham[/quote]
I am new at this and trying to catch up. My zivan NG1 for my 2002 gem 2 seater, seems to have no switch to change battery settings. If that is correct what setting would it be on if it only has one. I have AGM batterys now and I get some strange readings after charging. I think i mention before that the zivan people want it back to reprogram (at 170$) for AGM. any links or information would be great. I think i am still under the 2 year replacement from Napa on the AGM optima. All test at 12.4-5 except one at 10.7. How would i get Napa to take replacethe set if just one is bad. mahalo

1 Like

Replace the 10.7 It’s not worth the hassle to try and make them replace them all.

The 10.7 dog is most likely the source of your major problems. $170 is a good price and less than the cost of 1 AGM battery to bring the charger up to date with all recent mods including automatic keep charge. The upgrade might lengthen the life of the other 5 as well.

CAUTION. Electric Conversions is SLOW. Suggest you talk to the people at Flight Systems Industrial Products. My favorite Electronics Service Company.

1 Like