I am interested Samsung sdi batteries pack

Order of swap/install will be something like this:

1. Power down the car. Flip the Main Power Disconnect Switgh OFF. Unplug charger.

2. Remove old cables. Start with the ends of the Pack. Identify and mark your cables B+ and B- as you are removing them off the batteries just so you don’t have to figure out which/which later. Remove all the other cables connecting the batteries together including the two going to the Fuse Block. But leave the Fuse Block mounted on the frame.

3. Remove all of the batteries. Do you really need instructions on how to do this? Ummm… Watch your back. Lift with your knees. If wet cells- use scrappy clothes. No smoking. Enlist friends to help. Bribe them with pizza.

4. Clean - All of the years of road grime from the battery trays. Remove the rubber and plastic tray bottoms. I used a combination of wire brush, sandpaper, vacuum, air hose. OCD was about level 6. Depending on what you car had in it (wet cell?) there may be some level of acid damage to the aluminum. This would be a good time to clean all that out, neutralize any residual activity and maybe even paint the frame if real bad. Reason: When people chase you down and ask why your car is so much faster than theirs you will probably want to lift the seat and show off your cool pack. Or not. Just let them wonder.

5. Build deck (see tips above). It’s not super critical to do exactly like this. Use what materials you are comfortable working with. I saw a recent example of several strips of Uni-strut running fore/aft for the pack to slide in on and bolt to. Just make it secure.

6. Slide in pack - Don’t fasten it down yet. It is easier to do the next step if you have the battery slid back a bit.

7. Wire it up - By now you probably have installed the phone App and checked it out. Hopefully you did not turn on the FETs yet. Be aware/respectful of the two connect posts ON THE BATTERY are still live tho.

• The B+ Batt Post is on the front of the battery on Driver side. Locate the big orange cable from the front of the car marked B+. Fasten it to the B+ post on the battery. Route the cable in a way it will not interfere with any other components of the car.

• The BMS should already be sitting/mounted on top of the battery and the Blue BMS wires are fastened to the Neg of the pack. Black BMS wires will nut down to one side of the Fuse Block (conveniently left in position on the frame).

• Locate the B- cable coming from the front of the car. Route the cable in a convenient path over to the Fuse block. (conveniently left in position on the frame).
    Nut that down on the OTHER side of the Fuse Block from the BMS cable.
    Note: the big fuse isn’t really needed since the BMS will trip/shut down if there is ever any problem. In this case it is just a convenient place to tie two cables together. You can do anything here.

1. Secure the pack - Now would be the time to do this before you forget. Slide it forward into position and secure it. I used a couple of big #14 Truss screws right through the foot flange of the battery. You can use whatever you want. Rachet straps can be used for temp install.

2. Test the power - From phone app You will first need to pair your phone to the BMS. It will ask for a pass. Use pass 1234 for pairing. Basic status will be shown. Across near the top are your FETS - Charge, Discharge, and Balance.
    At the bottom of your App are three tabs. Status, Settings and Control .
    Tap the Control page and it gives you access to the FETs. Tap on the Discharge to turn it on. Pass is 123456. Go back to the stat page and verify that the Discharge status is now ON.

3. Power up the car - Flip the Main Disconnect Switch to ON. If you drop your PBrake lever at this point (hopefully you are not on a hill) the car should beep. Rotate the Key Switch to ON should light up the Dash. If you want to take the car for a quick test lap you can, BUT DON’T GO FAR!! This battery was shipped to you in a fairly depleted state (regulations). It will feel very peppy and full but it is not.

4. Test the charger - If your BMS Charge FETs have not been triggered ON yet, go back into Control tab and switch Charge to ON. Plug in your car to charge. Verify that you are charging via the app Stat page. You will see the V starting to rise as well as the individual Cell V and how many Amps running through the BMS.

5. Install Spoof - With the battery in it’s depleted state, the car will run for a short test out to the mailbox and back. After a full charge the Controller will throw a Code -16 (overvoltage error) and refuse to run. To fix this error you need to install a small component (aka- the spoof) inline with a wire up at the controller. Locate Pin1 on the big 23 pin harness. To make sure you are working with the right end, look for two orange wires next to each other. P1 is the first on the edge. If you look real close on the backside of the connector there is even a tiny “1” molded in the retainer next to the wire. Cut that wire about 3" up from the connector and strip a little off both ends of the wire you cut. Install the spoof between these two wires and test the car again. The code should be cleared and you are good to go. The spoof install kit may include a spring clip attachemt for super simple install. If you know how to solder you can do that. I personally like to use butt-splice crimps without the insulation and a piece of shrink tubing over the whole assembly to finish it off.

Did I miss anything? Pics will be added later.

1 Like

Thanks for all the support. Which one of these wires is the spoof?

Here is what I have done today. The support platform is painted and is drying.

Thanks again

1 Like

The doo-dad with the 8V written on it is the Spoof. That is using the spring clips.

The long stringy-thing is the Tweaker option for the charger (which I haven’t mentioned yet). I wasn’t sure what you are running or if you needed it.

Platform in, all I need to do is install battery. Left over flex seal for paint. Hopefully my grandson will come to help me with this today.

3 Likes

Battery is installed. All that is left is wiring.

2 Likes

All wired up and it is changing Have not added spoof in yet. What is the high voltage of the pack before it shuts off? Does the BMS shut the battery down or the will charger do that? What is the low voltage shut down on BMS?

So I charged the battery and it reached 79.25v before the charger shut down. I noticed that the battery started to discharge a small voltage it was down 79.08 with in 20min. is this normal?

Should charge much higher. Check charger profile and replace sensor with resistor.
Look in settings for ovp and uvp to see protection voltages.
4.1and 3.0 typical.
That relates to 90v and 66v.

Dont drive far with low battery.
182b6af474a03868252660db339594f738c6eb3c_2_429x500

#13 is most common profile. The most tested one for charging this battery. Will charge to over 88 volts with new sensor replacement.

Hello, I check the algorithm it is reading #14. So went to change the algorithm to #13 I got a spark does this mean a heave a short some where?

Are you observing this “spark” as your are doing the tapping method?

If so- How big is this spark?

A small (ish) spark is common.

If you are blowing material off your cable end then you are doing something wrong.

1 Like

Small spark, no weld marks.

Master disconnect switch (MDS)

Thanks for the info, but I am still unable to change algorithm still at #14. Just installed spoof and the charge is above 80v now. My wire on pin 1 was to short so I added pigtails to extend the length. My OVP is set at 4.20 and OVPR is set at 4.18 and my UPV is set at 2.85 and my OVPR is 2.82. Or should I change to 4.1 and 3.0 for better life of the battery?
Thanks Again!

OVP - 4.10
OVPR - 4.08
UVPR - 3.56
UVP 3.55

The Under Volt Protect is set conservative until you get used to how the pack works.
If you are out racing around and not watching your batt V these settings should shut down under hard accel for a moment then come back on. Kind of a hiccup or may even glitch and throw a -11 when it boots back up. This is to get your attention. These settings also give you a little(15%?) power to nurse it back home or to a convenient buddy for a visit, a beer, and a quick charge. Hopefully you are carrying that spare power cord that you remembered to pack.

If you want to bring UVP up higher (3.6) &UVPR (3.61) for more reserve during testing it is up to you.

Remember- according to the chart Inwo sent above, if any cells drop to 3.4 this pack is depleted. That is ~74.8v and still above your old Lead Acid pack. You may think this pack still has plenty of pep if driving by feel (compared to your old pack) but it does not. Don’t trust the SOC display on your dash for now. It does not know about your new pack.

1 Like

See how high battery will charge. 4.1v is good for ovp. Dont set over 4.15v.
If you cant get charger over 88v, you may have to send it to someone to get profile changed.
In any case it will be good to find out what #14 will do. Any profile should go over 84v I believe.
If charger faults restart it.
Are you having an issue getting it into program mode?
Connecting a switch direct to charger makes it easier. As per @Old_Houseboater
Switching the load along with charger seems problematic. I dont know how it can work or why its recommended.

When I set my parameters do I have to disconnect AC power? Right now I am at 85v and charging?

Nawww… she’ll be fine.
85v and how many amps at this point?

Have you taken the car out for a spin yet?
First impressions?

I am at 86v and 11.5a. I am keeping a close eye on it. I will unplug at 88v. No I have drove it at all with the new battery and a mile with new motor. Tomorrow will be first experience with power and distance.

1 Like