Hybrids Do They Really Have A Future

How many people really think that owning a hybrid car will help the environment ? I mean look at all these hybrids here http://www.topgreencars.com/ would owning one really save a tree ?

To answer your first question. “Hybrids do they have a future” One word. Yes. Many of them have a valuable purpose.

I own a Honda Insight, while I don’t think I will have any effect on the environment by driving it. I like the fact that I can get 70 MPG.

I am all for preserving the environment as anyone, my reasons for owning it are more selfish. I am sick and tired of giving my money to the Gov. and to people who don’t like us to begain with.

I am wanting to build or buy a EV so that I don’t have to give them any of my money.

Well, I did not look at the list of cars in your link but I guess cars such as the Prius and Insight are listed. Driving one a these will probably not save the planet, but its a start. Current hybrids still use way too much gas. By running a small diesel car (VW Polo) you burn about 20% less and you don’t even have to think about recycling your batteries. The reason why hybrids are good is that people (and I mean the masses) will get slowely used to the idea of having a battery on board. Once the plugin-hybrids are on the road some people will already be used to drive temp. electric, and the option to plug the car in at home and save fuel is tempting. Once there are enough plug-in drivers, there will be a demand to install sockets for the cars. I could well imagine that a supermarket chain will start offering parking spaces with sockets in a few years and while you shop you recharge.

So even though todays hybrids seem to be not as green as they are advertised, its a step into the right direction which could well lead into an EV ®evolution.

stefan72
http://ecocarforum.com

I’d rather drive a Lada with the Canadian, British and American flags on St-Jean-Baptiste day in Québec City than own a Prius. It runs on battery power at very low speeds only, can’t be recharged using a plug (at least when stock) and at highway speeds (which where I live, represents 99% of driving), you only end up hauling an extra drive system.

Current hybrids are an attempt, but plug-ins are certainly better thought out.

[QUOTE=DeLorean_4;1187]I’d rather drive a Lada with the Canadian, British and American flags on St-Jean-Baptiste day in Québec City than own a Prius. It runs on battery power at very low speeds only, can’t be recharged using a plug (at least when stock) and at highway speeds (which where I live, represents 99% of driving), you only end up hauling an extra drive system.

Current hybrids are an attempt, but plug-ins are certainly better thought out.[/QUOTE]

wow i seriously couldn’t agree more!

Gas mileage is the bottom line. All new cars have clean emissions. A Prius getting 46mpg highway is only marginally better for the environment than a Mini getting 40mpg highway. An early 90’s Geo Metro that got 56mpg is better than both of them, assuming that it is tuned to run clean. If the car companies would sell appropriately sized engines in cars for the commuter, fuel efficiency would be much better. As of now, only the Insight really took advantage of an electric motor to maximize mileage, and that is a assist hybrid to boot.

I am pretty sure that the reason the Prius gets such poor mileage is because of the catalytic converter. The catalytic converter needs to be kept hot to function properly, so the batteries are not allowed to maximize fuel ecomony as well as they could. The EPA needs to modify their requirements for hybrids to eliminate the catalytic converter.

wow i seriously couldn’t agree more!

In that case, we’ll meet in Québec City on St-Jean-Baptiste day in a Lada covered with British, American and Canadian flags and take a drive around town :wink: