How to tell year of transmission

Have a source for 2016+ transmissions, want to get a 2018+ one and not one of the early 2016’s. Is there any way to tell? They are out of the Gem’s so can’t identify that way.

I’m curious Mike, did something change between those years?

It appears so. There was a lot of warranty claims on the early Gem’s for transmission noise. Even with the isolation kits, some where loud. A lot of people reported unbearable noise after swapping gears on the earlies but it appears to be better on the later cars. @Old_Houseboater mentioned he thought there was a problem with certain years.

1 Like

Thanks. Now i wonder if the eMs used the same transmissions? Brand yes, model, i dunno. My '15 eM has a Trim and that may very well be the only part that is common to the eM and any other AC drive gem, ever…

That and its a RWD dump truck, kind of makes nose unnoticeable

Actually, now that i think about it, i think the 5th screw back, 2nd column, right side of the vehicle is also found on other Gems. But not the 4th or 6th, youll strip the head out if you switch them :wink:

Mike: that’s a Good question. I don’t know if a way to ID early Team Transmissions from Late ones. They do have a Bar Code sticker on them but I have no way of understanding what information the bar code has.

It would be great to find out for once and for all what changed? Was the reduction in gear noise from a change in manufacturing or assembly
Or parts or simply just adding the Rubber Isolation kit? I did some testing with a DB meter. And a Isolation kit

I have the transmission for a 2019 GEM E4 with 1509 miles picked up in Orlando. If anyone needs, shoot me a fair price. I can ship for pretty cheap. There other parts as well, I just need to list.

John: that Gem looks like it took a pretty good hit in the front end. My question is are the missing pieces of the front end were they removed from the accident or were pieces being removed in the process

Right front fender and strut suspension were torn off during accident. It had not been stripped when I purchased. The front end parts are inside the coach if I sent additional pictures. In reality I went from SoCal to Orlando to box up and ship back just for the steering wheel and EPS. Plus I got COVID in the airport. Central Florida is hazardous to us “woke” california boys LOL

I would like to add EPS to my car. Send me a text let’s talk.

Where is this car now?
E or W coast?
Was the gearbox or motor damaged in the hit?

The front bumper is untouched… whatever they hit, it cleared the bumper(and motor) and caught the wheel/tire and as it tore off it jammed into the body behind the wheel and just entered the front passenger compartment. It’s a “good” accident and salvage since everything but the RF wheel/suspension and frame are untouched. Good score! Well, except for the Covid part.