How to Make Gem E6 Faster than 25mph?

Do you have anymore of these available?

Yes, I do. $125 with a note.

Hi have 2013 eS and want to up the speed to stay with 35 mph traffic in our small town. Feel like people are pushing me at 25. Does this come with instructions? Also a question - do you know where I can get A timer that will turn on once every 30 days for about 12 hours to charge my Gem? We are snow birds and leave it in Florida. thanks

Daveā€™s magic magnet just plugs in between the motor speed sensor output and the harness going to the car. Install takes about 37-1/2 seconds.

Any 15 amp heavy duty timer would work for cycling the battery charger on once every X days.

I canā€™t find any timer that goes more than 7 days. can you give me a link or where to get a one that will go 30 days?

Sure, but you ainā€™t gonna like the priceā€¦

https://www.grainger.com/product/INTERMATIC-Electronic-Timer-13D099

I use this, once a week

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MC2MJG4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or search eBay or Craigslist for a used 30 day one

A 2013 charger turns on automatically to keep your batteries charged. No need for a timer.

1 Like

@bandit1 Where in Florida are you located?

Good morning, i currently own a 2008 E2 it has nice 15" wheels will the MM plug work for my cart? i will eventually switch from my gel batteries to a lithium and bigger motor etcā€¦ But for now wanted to know about the MM.

Yes, the MM will raise the speed limit.

$135

Dave, I have a 2017 GEM e6 that I would like to go faster. Is there a MM that I can purchase that will do the trick? Thanksā€¦Please LMK

The only simple fix thatā€™s ready to go is changing gears. More speed less torque.
We do have a big motor high voltage kit.
At this time it needs 72v plus gear change. Speed is limited to about 35mph using stock trans.
45mph with gear change.
Iā€™ve been working on a simple controller change for 35mph, but it always gets put on the back burner. :frowning:

1 Like

I have a 2017 GEM e6 and would like to speed it up a bitā€¦can you help me? I am assuming you would be the right person to purchase a Magic Magnet from. Please LMKā€¦Thanksā€¦Elliott Tobias

Just saw this responseā€¦please LMK the best way to get in touch with you to come up with a speed solve.

Thanks

Elliott

This is the best way. Others doing the same will jump in.
If budget permits converting to high voltage and a big motor, we have a solution that is working well.
The controller only, swap may be buggy until I find someone to help test.

It may not be practicle, as high speed requires a higher capacity battery. Without it range plummets.
All the early adopters are going all the way. About a $5,000 upgrade.

@Erniea15 @MaxAtMaxMarine. @djgabriel2004 @grantwest

1 Like

The GEM that youā€™re used to drive will be a Turtle after you convert it to Lithium-HV like @Inwo is telling you.

Itā€™s a One way trip, youā€™ll love it.

2 Likes

I went down the AC conversion path with my prior classic GEM and got used to the performance. When I bought the 2016, it just sat in the garage because 25 mph was SO boring and frankly, I was more worried about getting run over especially on hills.

Now that I have my high voltage system in there (+motor, gears, etc), Iā€™m looking for any excuse to go for a ride. Wife - ā€œshoot, I think weā€™re out of x,y,z, ingredientā€. Me - ā€œwant me to run to the store??ā€. No problem!

5k-ish is a significant investment (including the time to install, which for me is part of the fun), but it really unlocks the potential of the GEM. Converts it from a neighborhood toy to a legit second car.

The real question is if you have hills or not. If youā€™re on the flats, the gear swap might do this trick at a lower price point.

Iā€™m with @djgabriel2004. One way trip for sure and no looking back

1 Like

Hey Dave:
Just to add to the comments, your gear change readily gets me to 34MPH which occurs right at the 25MPH mark on the OEM speedometer. This is on a 2020 e2 with 6.5kW motor & Distance AGM battery pack. However, at that point the GEM speed limit controller kicks-in disallowing any more speed increase. I think thereā€™s another 3-4 additional MPH untapped reserve power using your gear change and the AGM batteries.
Look forward to breaking the OEM programming code which limits that potential. Please keep me in mind when that breakthrough becomes available.

I think this may be a key comment you may have missed.

It may not be practical, as high speed requires a higher capacity battery. Without it range plummets.

Since you have the range pack installed, how well is it holding up in your daily routine? Note and report back how much it changes now that you are spending more time up at 34. It might be good data but many others have noted a steep curve eeking out an extra 3~4 mph at the top end and have since dialed it back(because it is too easy and fun to hit).