How badly have you zapped yourself?

Apologies in advance if this is a taboo topic or has any bad mojo.

I was curious if anybody has ever been bitten by their electric car while working on it?
What’s your biggest oops or electric misstep story?

I’m a little surprised I never did while I was doing my lithium ion conversion, but never is the answer for me.

I’ve lost count. Never too strong but it certainly gets your attention.

Really? I was under the impression that this was lethal voltage. Do you have to physically grab both plus and minus with wet hands?

Well I certainly haven’t, nor do I plan to, test that scenario. In most cases I had make contact with a hot wire or terminal and some part of me would have bare skin on the frame. This was at varying voltages as I assembled my lithium pack (green lifepo4 cells) and wired up my BMS in the car. I quickly learned to remove the B- wire and turn off the main breaker to reduce the likelihood of a surprise shock. That and testing with a voltmeter before I started touching things. Inevitably I’d need to make a quick adjustment and decide to do it without the extra prep steps so long as I was careful. That didn’t always work.

I assembled the BMS harness in place to get an exact fit. Once assembled it can now be removed as one piece.

Thats a good looking harness.

I’ve had similar situations and take the same precautions. A few days ago I had a sweaty arm and reached in too deep around the batteries and got myself a little tingle but I believe it wasnt more than 4volts. I brushed the top of an exposed terminal like a dummy.
My batteries definitely have some apprentice marks on them here and there from my experience when I was starting.

screw-up%20wrench

1 Like

That is a skilled welding job. :sunglasses:

And no matter if you get dared , double dared or double secret dared DO NOT touch your battery pack with your tongue . Trust me on this one .

1 Like