Honda wheels on GEM

I just put some 13x5 Honda rims. .with the DEEP offset for front wheel
drive . .on my '02 GEM eS… .with some 185-70-13 tires.

Now the wheels actually cover the ball joints, rather than having them
way inside like with the stock 12 inch wheels.

Lost about 4 inches of track width, but the difference in handling is
AMAZING. .all that front wheel “scrub” while cornering is nearly gone, along with the extreme bump steer that always goes with offset rims. Clearances
are VERY close at the front end, but tires do not rub. Also get
quite a bit more top speed.

That sounds great. Any photographs?

It is amazing the difference you can make by putting different wheels and tyres on a car. I have a friend who has put smaller wheels on his G-Wiz which gives him better performance and handling. I’ve got another friend who has put larger wheels on his G-Wiz which has improved ride tremendously and made a useful improvement to top speed.

NOT a prize-winning picture. . .

[QUOTE=SolarCar;7344]That sounds great. Any photographs?.[/QUOTE]

before and after. .and SOME day I’ll clean and paint the Honda rims

Instantly I can see where the improvement has come from. Those tyres you had on before are the wrong ones for driving on the road. I’d guess you’re getting an extra 5-10% better range as well as better performance, handling and reduced road noise with your new tyres.

[QUOTE=SolarCar;7362]Instantly I can see where the improvement has come from. Those tyres you had on before are the wrong ones for driving on the road. I’d guess you’re getting an extra 5-10% better range as well as better performance, handling and reduced road noise with your new tyres.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I noticed that those turf tires were all wrong for the job soon as I got the car home. (actually, I had a pretty good clue.from just looking at the pictures). Funny thing is, the car used to belong to the University of California at Davis, where it was probably used entirely on pavement… .by a metermaid or some such thing.

Don’t know about the effect on range yet, but it sure is quieter and better handling. .mostly due to geting the contact patch on the tires back closer to the pivot point where they belong… .and, of course, the harder rubber, smoother tread, and larger diameter of the new tires.

Just got back from having it inspected for the state of Utah, and will be getting the plates Monday, and ordering the personalized plate that says “ZEROGAS”

A few years ago, I converted a FIAT X-1/9 with a 9-inch Advanced DC motor running on 120 volts, and it had low-rolling-resistance tires that REALLY helped. .but cost a small fortune.

That looks good!

Here’s a place with some info on GEM… NEV-LSV.com

[QUOTE=solarmon;7365]A few years ago, I converted a FIAT X-1/9 with a 9-inch Advanced DC motor running on 120 volts, and it had low-rolling-resistance tires that REALLY helped. .but cost a small fortune.[/QUOTE]

I owned a Fiat X1/9 many, many years ago and have some very happy memories of it. What was the electric conversion like to drive? Was it quick enough for the image of the car?

[QUOTE=SolarCar;7375]I owned a Fiat X1/9 many, many years ago and have some very happy memories of it. What was the electric conversion like to drive? Was it quick enough for the image of the car?[/QUOTE]

Technically, my X-1/9 was called a Bertone, as it was a 1981, and FIAT was no longer sending them to the U.S.

Went VERY fast. …well over 100 MPH. .for a short distance. .a whole lot faster than that pukey litle FIAT engine could move it

Range at “normal” speeds was only aroundg 20 miles, as I lived in the mountains, and the 10 batteries werent all that big. .or new.

Handled quite well, weighing in at 2,200 pounds, with Trojan 27TMX batteries in the front and rear trunks , plus three in the space behind the seats where the fuel tank and spare tire once lived.

The nine-inch Advance DC motor was rated for a 5,000 pound car, so PLENTY of power

For some strange reason, I have no pictures of it. .but then, I have none of my former 1963 Avanti R-2 (supercharged), either.

Hi,
Ugh that EF is completely ruined by those nasty wheels. I can deal with this whole stanched/hellaflush/poke/dorifto style on plenty of cars, but I have to draw the line with EF’s. Skinny ass tires and wide wheels look like ass on these cars.

f150 wheels