Help with battery options

After shopping I have the following choices

Deka 8G31 gel @ $275 each. New stock
Deka 8g31 gel @ $230 each. Unused 2019 stock
Crown 12CRV 110 AGM @ $240 each. New stock

What’s the best choice?

Good price on the Dekas. I’ve had problems with small Crown batteries in machinery. Their forklift batteries are good though.

Although for the $1500-1800 those batteries are going to cost, you could get a killer wicked lithium setup.

I thought about lithium but I’m very ignorant about the proper care and feeding of this technology. BMS systems, balancing, monitoring the individual cell charges is completely out of my comfort zone. Also, I only use the cart locally, longest run is say only 10 +/- miles, so don’t need the range or more speed. The gel should work fine and be an easy resale in another 3/4 years which is about as long as I’ll keep it.
I think lithium could fin me close to $2K or more.

Talk to Dave @Inwo. I think he sill has some green cells left at a reasonable price.

25 LiFePo4 (“green cells”) w/ balance boards and you probably can use your existing charger. No BMS needed.

I can’t speak to the range, but I have a 2002 with a mixed battery system. The green cells w/ balancers have been plug and play for me.

I do. A set of 25, a good choice, is $1250.
It has been reported that the standard charger does a pretty good job.

Inwo thanks for responding. I confess lithium does have appeal, and if you could furnish whatever I need and offer technical advice I could be induced to try this. I have a 2015 e2 with a delta charger which I think can be reprogrammed for lithium.
I have a few initial questions
Besides the cells what else do I need? Balance board (what is this), BMS, what else?
Is performance equal to or better than stock batteries?
Is 25 the best choice, any reason for 5 more? (or 2 or 3)
I’m in southern Alabama, shipping cost?
How are cells banded together and secured in cart?
Does controller need reprogramming?
Any type of warranty or guarantee?
Any risk of fire? (Or how to minimize)&
What could go wrong?

Thank for your help. If you prefer to talk by phone, my # is 251 776 0475
Thanks, Mike

I can supply them with balance boards. No additional cost. One board bolts across each cell. No wiring needed. Led on each board illuminates when cell is full.
It is generally 2-1advantage with lithium. These 60ah are = to 120ah lead.
25 is about 80 volts and is what @LithiumGods tested using lead charger profile. Better to redo DQ charger though.
About $125 shipping.
I will supply 5 pcs 16v batteries. 5 banded cells. Ratchet straps can secure them. Ask what others have done.
No changes to controller.
No warranty, but I will replace bad cells as long as I have them. These are new but outdated cells. Time will tell how long lived they are. Being <1/2 price, it should be a safe gamble. Lead also can have early failures and be damaged by over discharge.
Almost impossible to catch fire. Look up lifepo4 safety.
The main disadvantage on any lithium battery. They don’t tolerate over discharge. Lifepo4 may come back from the dead, but may be damaged and not recover. A bms will protect them, but adds complexity. One more thing that can fail. I do not use bms with my lifepo4 batteries. You can always add one later. ~$200.
The first few charge cycles should be monitored to prevent a cell from going high, even though I can do a test charge here.
If time is not an issue, I can program and test charge using your charger after programming it.

A 2015 E2 with lithium and a mm will do 40mph . Jag where did you get those Deka Gel prices ? I need to get a few to repair Gems when they come in.

Kinghappy. I got the Deka $275 quote from a local dealer, but got a $220 quote for 6 from Ameresco Solar plus $129 shipping. Same 8g31 designation, assume it’s the same battery.

I’m still researching a lithium conversion. Reading old posts you used the green cells, both 25 and 27 cells. Do you recall speed and distance with the 25s? If doing it today what changes or improvements would you make? I’m a novice at this so appreciate all the help.
Mike

Hi Inwo. Still gathering info.
Understand my delta charger only carries Gem specific profiles.
Can you reprogram this to lithium? Cost?
Shipping charge ok, how is it shipped? Can it be insured?
Would you recommend just 25 cells, or say 27 or 28 all of which will fit under the seat?

I’m also toying with a small pack 12 volt to run my 30lb thrust trolling motor on my canoe. What could you recommend?

Thanks, Mike

Just pay shipping both ways for charger.
25 is the most you can run without spoofing controller.
If you want to make it a hobby and increase performance, more is better.
24s is considered a 72v battery.
4s is 12v. If you have room I can build you a 2p4s 12v battery. I just built 4 of them for my 48v r&t vehicle.
Shipping can be difficult as boxes are mishandled on the way. I prefer shipping freight on a pallet. Works out great for more than one set.
Might try Uship too for personal a to b delivery.

16v dimensions, and 12v 2p4s.

s-l400-34 MVC-005F(1)

Hi Inwo
Converting is looking better and better? 25 cell seems the best choice. Lets forget the trolling motor for now.
I’m concerned about shipping, previous comments indicate a problem with rough handling? If cells are damaged or non arrival does the remaining pack need to be returned for the replacement cells to be rebalanced? Is insurance available? How many packages for 25 cells? Best carrier? Is a pallet an option? Have any other buyers near Mobile, AL? To share a pallet, (or SE US)
If in the future a cell goes bad and you are unable to replace it as no longer available, what happens then? Must all cells match?
Is there a SOC device which can easily tell me if I’m in danger of depleting the pack to a dangerous level? Do you recommend a mm to achieve say 30 to 35 mph for short distances? How does a mm work, I’m not familiar with them. Once installed, do you have a wiring
diagram for an e2? Is the center pack of 15 cells installed as one pack with 5 on either side of the divider? My charger is a 12 amp DQDB which I understand only has gel algorithms installed, do you install a lithium algorithm?
Sorry for all the questions as I’m trying to gain confidence in what I’m planning to do. I wish there was a instruction guide with q&a for novices as myself. It’s hard to acquire this info from scrolling thru previous posts. My number if you want to talk is 251 776 0475.
Thanks so much, Mike

Busy this weekend with local projects.
From your questions, this may not be for you. There is lot that can go wrong. All of the above are potential problems.