Help! Every time I plug my gem in its pops the breaker

I’m not sure why it is doing this, it’s been perfect for a long time and has brand new trojan batteries in her. I live in So Cal and recently for the first time I got stuck driving about 3 miles in the rain. I’m sure this is somehow the problem but I’m not sure what it could be. I’ve tried doing a “hard” turn off of my vehicle but each time the same problem reoccurs.

Thanks in advance for helping!

Hello,
Do you mean the home AC circuit breaker, or the DC circuit breaker on the vehicle? Check to see if you are plugging into a GFCI circuit breaker or outlet. These trip whenever current leakage to ground is detected. Have you tried using a different outlet on a different circuit? What year GEM do you have? Many early models had problems with the DC/DC convertor getting wet and shorting out, but that would not cause the AC breaker to trip. Please descibe any unusual smells, sounds, or other things the vehicle did around the time of failure.

Daniel

it pops my home breaker, i am plugging into a gfci and its popping everyone ive tried. I have a 2007 gem with 400 miles and new batteries. I’ve had a tough time with this particular cart with getting decent range, i usually avg about 15 miles before in the yellow and not too hilly around me. Someone suggested that I crank the front end up in the air and try to “drain” any water out of it. There hasn’t been any unusual noises or smells at all and it drove perfect in the rain. Unfortunately I can’t charge the batteries and they are dead!! Hope it doesn’t ruin my new batteries! It is still running perfect just pops all breakers any time i plug it in.

Hello,
You can save your batteries by charging them one at a time with an automotive 12 volt charger. This will take several hours to complete. Do not allow the batteries to sit discharged. Try plugging into a non-GFCI power source. I have now replaced several of these Delta-q brand Chinese made chargers. They are advertised as being waterproof. Delta-q will not repair these because they a marketing agreement with the GEM factory. If you want it fixed, use must use the GEM factory for a new charger or a rebuilt unit. See my other posts for the rebuilt Delta-q part number. Despite were they are made, these chargers are quite expensive. I have retrofitted several vehicles with a Quick Charge unit which is much less cost. These have proven reliable and have unique features such as the ability to charge a totally dead battery. See my other posts for information on Quick Charge.

Daniel