Gtting the C clip off 2004 GEM drive axle

I am trying to replace the boot on a 2004 GEM drivers side axle, and cant seem to get the trick of getting the C clip off the outer end to replace the boot. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also I removed the lower shock bolt but it still wont move enough to get the axle out? I am trying to avoid pulling it all the way out.
Thanks

You have to take the axle out. the clip is a pinch type. you have to pinch the clip and withdraw the axle from the joint.

Thank you, does anything hold the axle is the transfer case or does it just slide in, assume I have to pry it out if so

it has a spring retainer on the axle. The axle snaps out of the gear box when you pry on it

In a message dated 8/23/2018 3:38:40 PM US Eastern Standard Time, electricforum@discoursemail.com writes:

Bmmoore42
August 23
Thank you, does anything hold the axle is the transfer case or does it just slide in, assume I have to pry it out if so

As far as the boot is concerned, that c clip is a bear to get off. I just wrapped the shaft with electrical tape to cover the c clip, used a little dish detergent for lubricant and then carefully slipped the boot over it. Easy peasy.