Google.org Funds to Develop 100MPG Engine

Just ran across this interesting little article about Google Founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page have started Google.org for funding start up companys interested in improving the world. They have confirmed a project for funding a 100mpg Engine and the capability to be plugged in and removed. Check out the full article here http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4203

it should be neat to see a bunch of no name companys comming out of the wood work to be the next big thing…

[QUOTE=FEUS;107]it should be neat to see a bunch of no name companys comming out of the wood work to be the next big thing…[/QUOTE]

They probably won’t. When they get halfway succesful, they’ll be bought by one of the big automakers…:mad:

depends on the owner of the company… if its anyone with any sence they will stick it out a bit and let google take it over instead…

[QUOTE=FEUS;110]depends on the owner of the company… if its anyone with any sence they will stick it out a bit and let google take it over instead…[/QUOTE]

It very much depends on the company owner. I’m currently researching funds for such a project and I’m not planning on selling it to an automaker. I’m planning more on conversions rather than creating a car from scratch as it’s cheaper and it’s also friendlier on the environment to give an automobile a second life. We have drafter plans for a vehicle that we believe would be more than capable of reaching the 100mpg dead space that most are unable to for a price that a consumer are able to afford. Again, funding is the hardest part as it seems even though EVs have been proven to work, some are still very skeptical in this area.

I don’t understand the need for a 100 mpg engine when it’s looking good for electrics to take over.

Besides that 100 mpg engine won’t be 100 mpg when you put it in a bloated SUV.

[QUOTE=Jack the R;328]I don’t understand the need for a 100 mpg engine when it’s looking good for electrics to take over.

Besides that 100 mpg engine won’t be 100 mpg when you put it in a bloated SUV.[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry, I completely missed that I didn’t mention that I was going to be converting a vehicle from gasoline to completely electric. I get ahead of myself sometimes when I’m writing or even speaking sometimes.

I was responding to the original post. I.E. why is Google interested in a 100 MPG engine when it appears obvious that the electric car is set to take over?

I’m interested in talking conversions though since I’m researching converting my own vehicle, but it should be in another thread. Start one somewhere and I’ll find it. :smiley:

[QUOTE=gagners;109]They probably won’t. When they get halfway succesful, they’ll be bought by one of the big automakers…:mad:[/QUOTE]

I have a thought on this and it’s something I’ve been trying to generate interest for through some of the business owners that I know. I’ll say this assuming that everyone knows about the x-prize.

What if there was a way to generate enough interest through green organizations and celebrities and other various people that have much more money than I’ll ever see and do another type of “x-prize” where the project would be to instead make a commuter vehicle that gets a 500 mile range, goes 0-60 in 3 seconds and can recharge in two hours and have a total sale price of 20k. (totally exaggerating but it could still be ridiculous sounding and possible). To make it even more interesting, have the prize be 250 or 500 million dollars. That, along with the publicity, would almost completely eliminate some auto manufacturer buying out the idea and stopping a project.

Just something that’s been floating around in the emptiness of my noggin.

[QUOTE=hobbes28;1297]What if there was a way to generate enough interest through green organizations and celebrities and other various people that have much more money than I’ll ever see and do another type of “x-prize” …[/QUOTE]

That’s how I see it too. All we need is the right research incentive. An X-prize might work, but I doubt if there will be much progress in the batteries and mechanical configuration of EVs until we see on-going competition on the track.

To illustrate:
Prior to the mid 90s computer technology was driven primarily by the needs of the military and NASA. After the cold war ended, the technology stagnated until the computer gaming industry began to push the envelope. The entertainment dollar began to fund research to attain better graphics, faster processors, etc. Progress was several orders of magnitude faster because it was no longer stifled by corporate and military restrictions.

Similarly, it will be the funds generated by the entertainment hungry race fans that will ultimately push competitors to fund battery research, motor efficiency, lightweight composites, etc, as well as build a consumer demand.

We desperately need a deep-pockets body to get involved with an electric-only (non-hybrid) class, complete with large cash prizes and with season points for owners and drivers. Until then, we will continue to only wish for longer range, quicker charging, lower cost and more space.

Do you think Google or the environmentalists might be willing to sponsor a national series of cup races?

Automotive X-Prize

[QUOTE=Jack the R;1565]Automotive X-Prize[/QUOTE]

I know of at least 2 members here involved in that :wink:

[QUOTE=Jack the R;1565]Automotive X-Prize[/QUOTE]

L I B… I guess I could’ve looked that up before going off on that rant… :smiley: