Open Source Hybrid/Hybrid Electric Car Project

[B]Open Source Hybrid/Hybrid Electric Car Project[/B]

I live in York, SC and I’m starting the design and brainstorming process of a electric/hybrid electric car.
I’m not coming into this thinking that I know all the right or wrong ways to build, In fact it’s quite the opposite.
I’d like to show people that you don’t need a huge shop, background in engineering, large skill set, etc…so I’m thinking more of this project as an “open source” type of a project.

I’ll be building a 3 wheeled (reverse trike) electric car design from the ground up.
I may include a small engine for electric generation.
I’d like to only use renewable energy (solar, wind, hydro) to charge this vehicle.

• In the case of a hybrid, use renewable fuel sources.

I don’t what this to be too complicated as I want the average/advanced DIYer to be able to build this.

[B]Guidelines/Criteria:[/B]
Keep total build cost below $10,000.
If full electric, total range of 150+ miles
If hybrid, total range of 400+ miles
Must seat 2+ people
Must not be open like a motorcycle
Must be (relatively) easy to replicate by other DIY’ers

[B]My goal:[/B]
Inspire people to be aware of their use of consumable energy.
Encourage others to be creative and think outside the box.
Show people that they don’t need to have lots of money to do something great.
Teach others how they can build the same type of vehicle for minimal dollars.
Provide FREE build plans to DIY’ers in the end.

[B]Some IDEAS:[/B]
Why not build a set of plans (ie. the Vortex, XR3, or many others) that use parts that can be easily replicated by a DIY’er utilizing a common (in the scrap yard) front end and, easy to be found parts for the rest of the car (this is something I’ve been considering and will potentially need some direction in).
Why not build a community and provide continuous improvement on this topic (giving away all project updates FREE).
Why not apply the Wikipedia business model to this challenge?
Why not give small machine shops around the world the ability to create and build parts that DIY’ers can purchase for their builds.
Why not put money back in OUR pockets while helping each other with this venture?
Why pay $25,000 for a poorly performing vehicle from a major auto manufacture when we can build it to outperform for half the cost?

If you’re interested in helping with the design, build, fabrication, promotion, etc…in any way, I’m all ears…PM me.
If an “open source” project of this type already exists that I’m unaware of, I’d love to know.
Many hands make light work.

I’m not sure I’ve articulated my thoughts and Ideas well, if not…please ask and I will fill in.

[U]Thanks In Advance,[/U]

Wayne
SC

[QUOTE=divedaddy03;12232][B]Open Source Hybrid/Hybrid Electric Car Project[/B]

I live in York, SC and I’m starting the design and brainstorming process of a electric/hybrid electric car.
I’m not coming into this thinking that I know all the right or wrong ways to build, In fact it’s quite the opposite.
I’d like to show people that you don’t need a huge shop, background in engineering, large skill set, etc…so I’m thinking more of this project as an “open source” type of a project.

I’ll be building a 3 wheeled (reverse trike) electric car design from the ground up.
I may include a small engine for electric generation.
I’d like to only use renewable energy (solar, wind, hydro) to charge this vehicle.

• In the case of a hybrid, use renewable fuel sources.

I don’t what this to be too complicated as I want the average/advanced DIYer to be able to build this.

[B]Guidelines/Criteria:[/B]
Keep total build cost below $10,000.
If full electric, total range of 150+ miles
If hybrid, total range of 400+ miles
Must seat 2+ people
Must not be open like a motorcycle
Must be (relatively) easy to replicate by other DIY’ers

[B]My goal:[/B]
Inspire people to be aware of their use of consumable energy.
Encourage others to be creative and think outside the box.
Show people that they don’t need to have lots of money to do something great.
Teach others how they can build the same type of vehicle for minimal dollars.
Provide FREE build plans to DIY’ers in the end.

[B]Some IDEAS:[/B]
Why not build a set of plans (ie. the Vortex, XR3, or many others) that use parts that can be easily replicated by a DIY’er utilizing a common (in the scrap yard) front end and, easy to be found parts for the rest of the car (this is something I’ve been considering and will potentially need some direction in).
Why not build a community and provide continuous improvement on this topic (giving away all project updates FREE).
Why not apply the Wikipedia business model to this challenge?
Why not give small machine shops around the world the ability to create and build parts that DIY’ers can purchase for their builds.
Why not put money back in OUR pockets while helping each other with this venture?
Why pay $25,000 for a poorly performing vehicle from a major auto manufacture when we can build it to outperform for half the cost?

If you’re interested in helping with the design, build, fabrication, promotion, etc…in any way, I’m all ears…PM me.
If an “open source” project of this type already exists that I’m unaware of, I’d love to know.
Many hands make light work.

I’m not sure I’ve articulated my thoughts and Ideas well, if not…please ask and I will fill in.

[U]Thanks In Advance,[/U]

Wayne
SC[/QUOTE]

Hi Wayne have you given thought to the battery voltage and what you may need for a genset? in 2008 I put my project motorcycle on the road here in BC.
Although it might not be what you had in mind, the principle idea is the same. I ran the bike for 4 years and the fuel consumption is 100 kilometers per liter.
I plan on another conversion, with a larger powerplant. as with my motorcycle, I would prefer to use readily available parts. It has been interesting experimenting with different automobile alternators to find which ones will work at high voltage without burning out.
Cheers

AJ

AJ,

Yes, Yes, and Yes.
However, I’ve not personally built an EV or Hybrid vehicle myself.

My idea is to build a community of people that have and/or want to build something of this nature and collectively collaborate on the whole project from the ground up.

That said, I have many ideas. An Axial Flux Generator with a VERY small power plant stands at the top of the list in my mind… I’m figuring that we need to be able to charge at or around about 23.7kw/h.
I like your idea of “readily available parts”…this either comes in the form of an Open Source Kit or Parts from the auto store/scrap yard.
I tend to not want this to be too barbaric of a build but rather one that becomes more uniformed as the project progresses.

How would you feel about collaborating to build a platform that can handle a number of power plant options (all very light carbon footprint) based on the desire of the user? Giving the user a choice on how they build their DIY or Kit vehicle and/or what parts they decide to purchase or build themselves?

Just brainstorming here but I think there is room for an Open Source Project of this nature…

Thoughts?

Wayne
SC

[QUOTE=barntech60;12246]Hi Wayne have you given thought to the battery voltage and what you may need for a genset? in 2008 I put my project motorcycle on the road here in BC.
Although it might not be what you had in mind, the principle idea is the same. I ran the bike for 4 years and the fuel consumption is 100 kilometers per liter.
I plan on another conversion, with a larger powerplant. as with my motorcycle, I would prefer to use readily available parts. It has been interesting experimenting with different automobile alternators to find which ones will work at high voltage without burning out.
Cheers

AJ[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=divedaddy03;12249]AJ,

Yes, Yes, and Yes.
However, I’ve not personally built an EV or Hybrid vehicle myself.

My idea is to build a community of people that have and/or want to build something of this nature and collectively collaborate on the whole project from the ground up.

That said, I have many ideas. An Axial Flux Generator with a VERY small power plant stands at the top of the list in my mind… I’m figuring that we need to be able to charge at or around about 23.7kw/h.
I like your idea of “readily available parts”…this either comes in the form of an Open Source Kit or Parts from the auto store/scrap yard.
I tend to not want this to be too barbaric of a build but rather one that becomes more uniformed as the project progresses.

How would you feel about collaborating to build a platform that can handle a number of power plant options (all very light carbon footprint) based on the desire of the user? Giving the user a choice on how they build their DIY or Kit vehicle and/or what parts they decide to purchase or build themselves?

Just brainstorming here but I think there is room for an Open Source Project of this nature…

Thoughts?

Wayne
SC[/QUOTE]

Hi Wayne
its a good thing we have internet. you live a bit more than a day’s drive from here. yes, brainstorming works. there is another fellow in Florida who as similar ideas. I have talked to him by phone. here in BC there is things happening with electric vehicles. its unfortunate the manufactured electrics are expensive. ultimately, innovation will come from the private sector. do look for an electric vehicle club near you. my lady and I go to meetings in Idaho
Research your material.

AJ

AJ,

I agree with innovation coming from the private sector for sure. What group are you apart of in Idaho? Also, who is the guy in FL you are talking about? I’d be interested in connecting.

I’ve got a fairly good conversation going on Ecomodder DOT com. I can’t post the link but it’s the same title as here if you search it. “Open Source Hybrid/Hybrid Electric Car Project”. There are allot of brains on that site, good one to check out if you haven’t.

I’m open to all of your ideas.

Wayne
SC

[QUOTE=barntech60;12252]Hi Wayne
its a good thing we have internet. you live a bit more than a day’s drive from here. yes, brainstorming works. there is another fellow in Florida who as similar ideas. I have talked to him by phone. here in BC there is things happening with electric vehicles. its unfortunate the manufactured electrics are expensive. ultimately, innovation will come from the private sector. do look for an electric vehicle club near you. my lady and I go to meetings in Idaho
Research your material.

AJ[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=divedaddy03;12256]AJ,

I agree with innovation coming from the private sector for sure. What group are you apart of in Idaho? Also, who is the guy in FL you are talking about? I’d be interested in connecting.

I’ve got a fairly good conversation going on Ecomodder DOT com. I can’t post the link but it’s the same title as here if you search it. “Open Source Hybrid/Hybrid Electric Car Project”. There are allot of brains on that site, good one to check out if you haven’t.

I’m open to all of your ideas.

Wayne
SC[/QUOTE]

Hi Wayne
I took a peek at the site, interesting. My lady and I go to the PEVA meetings in Post Falls Idaho. its a 100 miles from where I live. I’m working on a 225 amp 24 volt C621 alternator. I have been able to push it to 116 volts dc with 24 volts on the field. rpm 4735 & 1 kw load to see how it performs. doesn’t even get warm. with the engine I’m using I should be able to get 8kw. I will have to get twin groove V belt pullies on it then push for max output.

Have a great week.

AJ

Defining the Non-For-Profit (HELP Needed!)

• The size and scope of the project still needs to be defined:
    ---- Do we build it to be certified as a car, motorcycle, or custom experimental (as registered by the DMV in all states, on a broader scope…countries)?
    ---- Do we band together and build it to have options or focus on a single build…then branch out (ie. electric, hybrid, ICE, different mold of body shapes, ground up build or using a modified donor vehicle, etc…)?
    ---- Do we structure the Non-for-profit to facilitate other DIYer “green energy” options in the future (solar, hydro, wind power), or stick with one mission…the automobile.
    ---- Do we structure the Non-for-profit to be focused on Global Change or only on the “local” North American culture
    ---- Do we structure the Non-for-profit to be able to encompass/support many of the other Open-Source builds that are going on globally (in everybody’s garages) or keep it more closed with a defined end product?
  • We still need to define “who” all will be on the board and work together on a business plan, mission statement, etc…(although I’m willing to take on the majority of the work/research).

Here’s what I truly envision.

1. Make a significant impact on the world by assisting others to make the same impact (ripple effect).
  2. Give clear and concise direction to other DIYers who are looking for affordable “eco friendly” transportation options.
  3. Be an education organisation.
  4. Since I’d like to open source the project/projects, I think that nonprofit would not necessarily be the “producer” of the vehicle or the parts (maybe some of them) but allow the participants who have donated their time to the mission of the project to monetize their time/effort. (ie. Somebody designs a bolt on body that incorporates solar panels for regeneration, let them produce and sell it to anybody that is looking for that functionality. If somebody designs a better charge controller, let them sell it…rather than the nonprofit organization owning the rights to the sale of that piece or part, etc, etc…)
  • 4.1. The nonprofit WOULD be able to help negotiate manufacturing deals, parts alliances, etc.
  • 4.2. The nonprofit would hopefully own the license to the “end product” if the nonprofit wanted to build and sell them/it as a complete package.
  1. I feel it needs to be a place where engineering students, graphic design students (even law students), etc…can come together and exercise their ability and build their portfolio.
  2. I’d love to see this take off because of dedicated, hard working people who care about the planet we’ve been entitled to and we all want to make a global impact on society.
  3. I see the whole organization as an open source project.

Again I say, I don’t know the legalities of all of this stuff.

Who’s involved? I have one solid verbal commitment other than me.
I’m working on some others however, I can’t say that I have them in my pocket…yet…
– A couple of others that I’m talking to already have “solely” made significant progress on a design and prototype and need exposure, direction, or funding.
– I also have calls into some that are current business owners that supply the EV/Hybrid industry with products that are needed with a build of this nature.

Me - I’m not a business expert, rather a visionary, a do-er, a front man…willing to make all the pieces and parts work together and sell the idea and product to the public. Take a look at my LinkedIn, I don’t outline much of my experience previous to the sales experience but while I was working as an EMT, I went to Nursing School for my RN. When I was in the Construction field, I learned many of the valuable fabrication skills that will be needed to help on the “shop floor” and on the “build” of the vehicle. I also managed large scale construction projects while working as a superintendent. This alone is invaluable experience for managing an ever changing, volatile environment in real time.

The Verbal Commitment - Bachelor of Science in Mathematics, minors in Physics and Computer Science from the College of Idaho, MBA from University of Phoenix, and inventor.

Ok, where do I make money?
Where do you make money?
Why a nonprofit?

The answer to the latter is simple for me, because of the nature of open-source, because of the direction of my mission (mission statement to be defined), because of the NEED for others expertise other than myself, because there are greater funding opportunities, because (local and global) community involvement is crucial to the success of this project, because it’s easier to attain sponsorship, and the list goes on and on.

Nobody on the board will INITIALLY profit from this venture (I need enlightened on some of this more). Eventually, myself and all of the board members should be compensated but because of the initial “lack of” compensation everybody needs to be passionate about the value that we can provide to society. I’m really looking for ALL of the board members to be passionate about “green, eco-friendly” energy options and better yet be passionate about providing safe, affordable, energy saving transportation education and solutions to low and middle class Americans.

Does this interest you?
Where do you fall within the above statement?
Why should you be involved?
Will you “stick it” out for long haul?

Where can you help from a business development perspective?

Additional Board Members - We will be in need of an accountant and secretary at minimum and an individual that’s educated on business plans would be a huge plus.

Additional help needed - Someone to assist with methodical research to pull together a complete data set of other similar projects, potential partners, etc…, web designer/programmer, website hosting (hopefully find one locally to donate this for the first year), auto cad/engineer, donation of shop space (depending on where we decide to make ground zero), local machine shop that is willing to participate in small parts manufacturing, social media manager, etc…

I can and will provide several links to others that I think have a successful open source project going, why they are successful, etc…
I can and will provide links to open source projects that failed and why I think that they failed.
I can provide assistant with all of the research I mentioned above because I’m getting a good handle on it at this point. (I’ve also talked to an individual in Charlotte that is willing to help with this and already has a head start due to past research).

I want this to be BIG.
I need some help to make this happen.

Once we have the non-for-profit in place we’ll be able to start the funding process.

Please Let Me Know If You’re Interested In Helping Me With This Venture

• Open to all ideas, criticism, praise, and otherwise.

All the best,

Wayne
SC

Very impressive post about hybrid and electric cars. Almost 15 years ago when Toyota Motors rolled out the Prius, it was considered as an odd niche car but now this odd hybrid has transformed into a mainstream hit in the first quarter on account of the demands and incentives of US in Japan. Experts suggest that the sales and ranking of Toyota Prius proves that the car was not a fluke and there is big and long-lasting demand of hybrid cars. The government is offering rebates of around 100,000 yen or $1,258 from a 300 billion yen fund that is specifically set for cars that include the Prius hatchback, plug-in, wagon and Aqua subcompact. The price tag for the Toyota Prius in Japan is around 2.5 million yen and around $25,000 in the US. The Aqua subcompact is the best-selling car in Japan at the moment which tripled the first quarter sales of the Toyota Prius family to 175,080 units against 52,507 units last year.It has also launched it in Asian market which is the fastest growing sector of their whole economy like almost in 3 to 4 days or in a week in India a new car launches for eg:-two days back the only electric car manufacturer of India Mahindra has rolled out its sub compact SUV Quanto. Mahindra Quanto Review are really fascinating.