Gettig the half shaft out

I am trying to get the half shaft away form the differential. The manual says it’s held on by a spring clip and to pry it away with two short pry bars, I don’t see anywhere I can get a pry bar between the cv joint and the differential. The only place there is a shoulder to pry against on the cv joint is too close to the differential to get anything but maybe a screwdriver in.

Any tips or ideas ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pair of heavy blade standard screwdrivers will work fine. So long your shaft isn’t all rusty, it should come pretty easily

1 Like

Yep - stick a big flat blade screwdriver in there and pry away from the diff, should pop right off, Make sure you have the wheel end out first, makes it much easier.

1 Like

They can be a bit of a pain to get off, too much side (or vertical) pressure will cause it to bind. I fought with mine trying to get them off with pry bars and flat head screw drivers, and then they just slid off by hand when I tried to move them out of the way

1 Like

Had to use a pickle fork ball joint separator on mine - can be had from Harbor Freight, Advance, etc

1 Like

SUCCESS !
I got it apart this afternoon. Didn’t take much pressure, just an even effort form two large screwdrivers. I had sprayed the whole thing with penetrating oil the night before just for good measure.
Thanks for all of the tips.

My question is how to get the inner joint to pop over the spring clip? Anyone have a trick?

With the good help of @JarJarJava i am putting the parts back on after our accident but this is not going together. Splines are fine, it will slip together without the clip. Is it time to face reality and accept I’m old and weak?

Any ideas appreciated.

@Reddevil - a little more explanation, please? Not really sure what you are describing.

If you mean putting the half shaft back on the gearbox output shaft? Just give it a wack with a rubber mallot. - don’t hit the rubber over the cv joint, you might split the rubber.

1 Like

It should just compress the circlip as it slides over. Is the groove over packed with grease or debris that might be preventing it from being compressed?

Also, just for shits and giggles, did you happen to try the other half shaft? With the damaged rubber boot?

That’s all I got… It really shouldn’t be this difficult.

1 Like

Mine slid right on with some even pressure.

1 Like

Thanks guys. Went in, had lunch and came back with my son who wrestled it on. Youth and vigor won the day.

2 Likes