GEM T5 Controller Programming Help

Hello All - I have a 2015 Gem E4 and have been advised that I need to reprogram the T5 controller. Unfortunately, I can’t find anyone local that provides this service and I was hoping someone on this forum could refer me to someone experienced with Sentry software that I could ship my controller?

My e4 throws error code 45 with sudden loss of power every time I drive it. I have to turn off/on the master power switch before it will operate again. I also noticed that there is very little difference in torque between high/low mode, which makes me think the controller may have been set for top speed at some point?

I swapped out the lead acid batteries with Samsung SDI 22S lithium battery. The motor has Magic Magnet and armature and brushes appear to be in good shape.

Any advice/referrals would be much appreciated!

Thanks -

Dan

Hmmm- This may be more than just a programming error. It looks like your controller may be due for a checkup. I don’t have a file for a T5 but assuming they didn’t stray too far from a T4 we can probably use that code description.

-45 - Armature transistor did not turn on properly.
This status code will be displayed when, during control operation, the armature transistor fails to turn on properly. This will result in a PMT condition
POSSIBLE CAUSE
Defective control. → Replace controller unit.

Let’s get some background:

• What motor are you using?
  • Have you verified what Gear set you have in your car?
  • How long before it throws the -45? (immediate? or will it move feet/yards/mile)
  • What other mods have you done to this car?
  • What have you done since last reporting in? (back in Aug you were having lack of power issues and looking into programming)

What is your zip code? Grass Valley? Way up NE of Sacto? Yikes!! That is a bit out of my normal driving range.

Thanks for responding @AssyRequired - much appreciated!

• What motor are you using? 7hp motor (OEM set-up other than Magic Magnet)
  • Have you verified what Gear set you have in your car? 10.35 gear ratio (assumed, since I was told it was OEM by prior owner)
  • How long before it throws the -45? (immediate? or will it move feet/yards/mile). Varies - sometimes I can make it 1/8 mile and other times a few feet… Hills/inclines definitely impact timing.
  • What other mods have you done to this car? 14" wheels/tires + lithium battery swap.
  • What have you done since last reporting in? (back in Aug you were having lack of power issues and looking into programming)
    Not much - I can’t find a local GEM mechanic so it has been sitting in my garage. A neighbor (& fellow GEM owner) was the one who suggested reprogramming the controller.

My ZIP code is 95946 (Lake Wildwood in Penn Valley). I was hoping I could ship the controller to someone to make it easier for all parties.

Thanks!

Dan