GEM Spicer Transaxle Play 10:1 (With Video!)

Hello! I have a 2003 GEM e825 4 seater and I am in the process of going through it to ensure it is ready for family summer fun. It’s in beautiful shape with less than 1k miles. I noticed that it had a sizeable clunk between acceleration and deceleration and I though it may have been the rubber snubber/bushing between the 5hp motor and 0613-00249 transaxle. It turns out that the spline and teeth of the input shaft look great. So does the rubber bushing. I created a video of the play I’m seeing in the transaxle and am looking to remove this play if at all possible.

I also took a quick video of the motor itself as it looks like it has play as well however I believe this may be normal for this motor.

Can you help me shed some light on this?

Kind Regards,

Andrew

My old GE motor had that much play and it sounded so bad in forward and reverse! Switched the motor out with a 5.5 D&D and I’m good to go with smooth rolling. I have a 2002 Ford think but all these gems work the same.

If you have any clucking 99% of the time it’s either a input shaft or the motor coupler Both can get worn and the splines become mis matched and create noise.

Replace the input shaft first. This will come with new bearings and oil seal. So you can kill 3 birds with one stone. Contact Rodney (old houseboater) here on this fourm for a Input shaft kit, they are under $200 for everything you will need. If that doesn’t take care of it Then the motor will need replacing. You can’t just replace the motor coupler On the motor . You have to replace the entire motor

also put spline grease on the shaft when you reinstall . Fyi testing with a heavy spline grease will tell you if it is the problem . It will take up some of the slack temporarily and it will be quiet . Also put in a new rubber bushing .

The input shaft looks really good. Minimal wear. When I reach into the transaxle, the play is in the box beyond the input shaft. This may just be how these transaxles are because I don’t see any significant wear on the internal gears either. Thoughts?

Are the rubber bumper from NEV good enough to get the job done? Polaris doesn’t sell them anymore from what I can see or perhaps they are out of stock. What does the bumper actual do…minimize horizontal travel of the motor stator?

I have the same problem with a 2002.
The play I have is just about what you are showing.
Did you find a cure for yours? Mine has the new input shaft and the plat feels like it is between the input shaft and the primary gear.

The coupling splines on the motor and shaft shown are worn. Notice rust from no grease. I have shaft kits and new spline couplings.

Rodney
AKA Old House Boater

That is not an abnormal amount of play. Unless gear box is run dry gear wear is usually very minimal. In some boxes the 3rd member can have more play in the spiders than others. I have a couple that are in good shape somewhere in storage.