GEM shuts off when I press brake while driving

I Bought a 2005 GEM E4. While I’m driving if I step on the brake the PSDM makes a loud click and the display will either flicker or turn off completely which result in the car being on the side of the road. If I flip the blinker or windshield wiper while driving the same thing happens. I tried telling my wife to just not hit the brakes but she did not think that was funny. Have any of you had a similar experience or have anything I can try. I replaced the ignition switch with an OEM switch already to no avail. I’m thinking it may be something in the PSDM but its quite the gamble to replace that and have it not work. Thank you.

What do you do to get the car back running again?
When you say the display goes dark do you mean blacked out completely? or is there any other icon still lit up?

What does your key ring look like? If you have any other keys or a fancy fob the momentum of weight hanging below has been known to rotate the switch and shut off the car. Try driving around with only the key in the switch.

The blinker flip is an interesting observation and suggests there is a loose connection inside the pod display. Split the shell off again and look around in there. Do it with key on and watch for a flicker.

If it is consistent with hitting the brake see if it will do the same it just sitting.

I’m not sure I’d blame the PSDM just yet, but all the connectors do need to be tight. It be worth a look but you need to pull off the lower part of the dash to get to it. Remove all connectors, inspect and replace. It might even be worth giving the pins a shot of contact cleaner. Also inspect the B+ lug attached on the left side and the two B- connectors on the right. Look for signs of heat related damage (melted plastic).

It could also be the DC/DC converter going bad, just a little more amp pull when braking (lights) or wipers might be shutting down the converter which would shutdown the car.

Ooooo! Interesting thought!

Thank you for your responses. I will check the connections you mentioned and look into the converter.

The key is a single key and I am sure that it is not switching off.

When the display goes dark the car stops running. What I do is switch the master off and let sit for 30 seconds or so, then turn it back on. Sometimes the display lights up again, sometimes it doesn’t. I repeat that process until I can get it running enough to limp home.

The only reason I was thinking the psdm is because of the audible click that it makes when you press the brake. As a matter of fact you can feel it click if you put your hand on it. (The dash and lower housing are removed right now.)

I’ll keep you posted if I figure anything out. Thank you again for your insight.

Sounds like a DC/DC to me.
The click you feel in the PSDM is either the contactor dis-engaging for a relay that is dis-engaging when the power is shutoff. - my best guess.

I was just hitting the common basics, but I like where MikeKC was going with this.
Let us know if you find anything odd. If not, we can send you along with a plan to test/monitor the outputs of the DC DC Converter.

Thank you so much for your help. I replaced the dc/dc converter and it’s running like new. I really appreciate all of your input.

1 Like