Gem eL XD... shortening wheel base...

I have them, but don’t actively push them.
They are $125 delivered conus. I’ll pm you.

Money sent. Can’t wait to try it. :smiley: Might need a second one for the wife’s but then again I might not tell her and just be soo much faster when we “race”… :smiley:

Send it back if it doesn’t help. It only moves the speed limit, not boost speed.
To go fast take out 500lb of lead.

Fingers crossed.

I plan to go lithium, just working on getting the money together for it. :slight_smile:

I am clearing out projects and workshop space now, I am hoping to start work on shortening the chassis next week.

Wait a second. My response was to the question about the 2015 car. Jag73e
You have the new model 2016?
Device only works on the classic Gem.

Yes I have the 2016 :frowning:

Anything I can check to see if it might work?

Take a picture of your motor. I’d like to see it in any case.
The MM only works on cars with dc motor and speed sensor.

IMG_20180614_202349

IMG_20180614_202339

Better photo of the label on the motor…

Sevcon 4 36v 450a ?

Other than the 3 heavy phase wires in the first picture, what other wires connect to the motor?
2 or 3 in second picture?
I may have to buy a new model Gem to find out.

If you are anywhere near South NJ you can borrow one of mine.

I left the workshop for today but will get more pictures and info tomorrow.

I see something like the pictured black unit you posted down near the front. I’ll get as much information off it as I can. I’m a mechanical engineer so all of this electrickery can be hard for me to keep up with :slight_smile:

Google tells me they use a simple induction ac motor. Not a bldc motor that would use hall effect commutation.
However the output frequency of controller still controls the speed, so Polaris may limit the frequency.
An induction motor will use an incremental encoder much like the classic dc Gems.
No one from Polaris will just give me the information. Is there a Gem dealer on here that understands the new Gem system?

I’m SE Mn. In the toe.

If my local Polaris dealer sells Gem, I doubt it, maybe I can rent a demo for a week. This sounds like fun.
I’m sure if a simple speed spoof worked, it would be all over the web.

This looks pretty sensor like to me. Sensor at the top of the image and four wire connector going to it…

The only other wires going to the motor are these and they connect under the main 3 phase cables.

IMG_20180615_200241IMG_20180615_200254

That looks very hackable. Quadrature encoder. It can tell the controller the speed and direction.
Then the issue is if the controller is programmed to limit motor frequency or the sensed speed.
Not that it helps, but would be interesting to know if the car goes into limp mode or shut-down without the encoder signal.

Is that gem or gen1 on the controller?
Do you see sevcon on it. Size 4 maybe?

It says Gen 4 at the bottom right and it definitely looks like it says SEVCON on the top right but I would have to remove the leads to be 100% certain.

I will try disconnecting the sensor and see what happens but it will have to wait until after tomorrow afternoon just in case I screw anything up. We have my daughter’s birthday party and one of the things she enjoys most is rides so if I break it before the party I might not live to enjoy the party…

Is it normal for the batteries to die in a few days if not connected to a charger? Maybe it’s a sign I need to upgrade them…