GEM Codes 82 and 81

I have a 2015 Polaris GEM eS. It has been running fine. I have put 389 miles on the car since I replaced the motor with a 7hp G.E. motor “Touched by Rodney.”

The other day, I started getting error codes 82 and 81. I replaced the speed sensor with one from Amazon. Now I get error 81 and no speed registered on the display. I replaced the magnet as well. Per Old_Houseboater’s recommendation, I sprayed the sensor connections with electronic spray and a burst of compressed air. Now I get a lull when I accelerate whether in forward or reverse. I also get a steady 81 code. Once I get the car going in forward, it runs like normal but with code 81 and 0 mph.

What do I check now? Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Check at the sensor plug.
Pretty simple circuit.
Use black for common. Measure about 12v to red and some + voltage on green.
If those are good, look for an issue with magnet or sensor.

That can be checked by meter black to green.
Voltage should pulse to zero 48 times per wheel revolution as you very slowly roll car.
An analog meter is easier to count.

4x12
4 being ppr of motor and 12 being gear box ratio.

I never actually did it to see how bright an led would iluminate.
Cut green wire.
Connect led in series. Cathode to sensor.
Count the blinks.

I get 12.26V attached to red/black & 4.83V attached to green/black. I have a new speed sensor and a new speed magnet attached. I still get 82 code and 0 mph. It’s very hard to check pulse while rolling by myself. Could I have put the magnet in backwards? I put the flange side facing the bearing. Did I get a bad speed sensor kit from Amazon?

Wiring looks fine. You will also see pulses moving magnet near the sensor. Simulating rotation.
I can’t make it easy for you. Just showing you how it works.
Try it with the old sensor and magnet. Might be easier if not attached.

can you get a picture of speedsenor both side ?

Gem_e2 The pic is of the old speed sensor and magnet that I replaced. Code 81 does not appear anymore but code 82 does. Whether in forward or reverse Code 82 interrupts. I also have 0 mph on the speedometer.

I am impressed you got that old ring magnet off without breaking it.
When you tapped the new one back on did you put it on just flush with the shaft?

For testing purposes can you lift the front wheels off the ground with a jack?

I used two paint can openers (Old_Houseboater tip) to ease the old magnet out. I used a dowel rod and a rubber mallet to put the new magnet in place flush with the motor shaft.

I’ll jack up the front of the car to try the pulse test.

It is possible the sensor and magnet are ok but the pulses are not getting into the controller.
Have you

• Been working up and around the controller or PSDM lately? (installing an accessory)
  • Removed the 23p plug on the controller?
  • Moved around/stressed the wiring harness?
  • Installed a lift kit on the car?
  • Probed the 23p controller plug/harness looking for a wiring fault?
  • Are there any rips/tears/cuts in the wiring insulation from the previous owner?

If you haven’t found it yet, Speed data comes in on P14 on the controller.

I had him check volts at sensor plug. All three connected to controller.
He needs to meter black to green and manipulate hall device with magnet. IMO
The one not in car should be easy. Else roll the wheel/car as you were suggesting.
Very unlikely that the controller is not responding to pulses if the pull-up voltage is at green.

He could even spin a magnet with a drill while watching speedometer.

ok can you do a test and not have magnet flush to shaft,only half way on

• Been working up and around the controller or PSDM lately? (installing an accessory) NO
  • Removed the 23p plug on the controller? YES sprayed with electronic cleaner & burst of air
  • Moved around/stressed the wiring harness? YES I disconnected the cables to remove the motor
  • Installed a lift kit on the car? NO
  • Probed the 23p controller plug/harness looking for a wiring fault? NO
  • Are there any rips/tears/cuts in the wiring insulation from the previous owner? NO

I’ll try to pull magnet half way off & test. I have the front end off the ground. One observation I made: No 82 code displayed when I accelerate in forward or reverse. The speedometer still displays 0.

I pulled the magnet half way off. The magnet slides very easily on the shaft now. I tested with the front end off the ground. No 82 code displayed when I accelerate in forward or reverse. The speedometer still displays 0.

I decided to replace the new magnet with the old one. I found a fine line crack in the new one. I tested in reverse & forward. the speedometer showed 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 mph. then I get a 81 code. The 82 code is gone. I put on the old speed sensor & got the same info with a 82 code. I have the new speed sensor with the old magnet on the car now. I’ll test more tomorrow if it’s stops raining.

I put the car in reverse & started moving. The speedometer displayed 0, 1. I put the car in high forward. The car displayed 0,1,2,3,4,5 and back to 0. The car moved to 20+ speed displaying random numbers 0,1,5,3… I went 1000+ feet & got an 81 code for a moment. I drove about 3000 feet & went home. I started spraying connections from the controller to the motor with electrinic connection cleaner followed with a pulse of compressed air. I thought back a couple of weeks. My grandson has used my car to go fishing. I told him not to return the car muddy. I think he sprayed the outside as well as the inside & then dried. Could he have caused my problems?

I took a test drive today. Reverse acted normal. Speedometer read 0,1. I put the car in fast forward. Speedometer went 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,4,1 while i was steady increasing speed. I went 1000 ft & display code 81. I went around the block & display showed code 82 for a moment. When I let off the accelerator, it felt like the brake was depressed until the car came to a stop. I smelled something like plastic burning. A new issue? What is going on? HELP!

Does it look like the controller might have gotten wet? These things don’t like water.
Was the rubber flap in place? Look around it for water spots.