Error code 81

2005 gem car contuies to display error code 81, car has new motor furnished by ( ride for fun ) installed new controller last year per recomdations of jim (rid for fun) which did not help, 3 different magnets have been installed (furnished by ride for fun) which did not help, does anyone have any sugestions as to next move I should try, im at loss

Did you replace the pickup unit?

Make sure the magnet is tight on the motor shaft, Grind a bit off the end of the bolt.

Remove the tach wire harness from the PTSD and spray with contact cleaner also the male plug on the 23 pin connector on the controller.

Rodney

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;32383]Did you replace the pickup unit?

Make sure the magnet is tight on the motor shaft, Grind a bit off the end of the bolt.

Remove the tach wire harness from the PTSD and spray with contact cleaner also the male plug on the 23 pin connector on the controller.

Rodney[/quote]

Thanks I have already all these steps last week also sent the new rebilt controller back to jim(ride for fun)at a cost of 165.00 to check found nothing wrong thanks for the reply I’m at a sure loss ( it is mu understanding per (Jim ride for fin) that there is nothing more that can be wrong . New batteries, rebuilt controller, new ride for fun motor,have installed 6 new magnets, 4 new magnet sensors no luck on repair

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;32383]Did you replace the pickup unit?

Rodney[/quote]

After reading again what are you referring to grind bolt,thanks

Suggestion is to shorten bolt securing magnet to insure it is tight. (long shot)

Is this an intermittent problem or constant. What is Frequency? How do you clesr it?

Since you have done everything I would have - Reinstall your stock motor to see if the problem still exists. Slim possibility the endbell of the RFF is not machined correctly and pickup is losing the signal.

Rodney

I have good news for all who would like to know battery live and error 81 (speed sensor malfunction) error code. I have 2009 eL XD which uses (9) 8 volt gel batteries. I bought unit in January 2014 with 114 actual miles. The car had been plugged into charger during first 5 year period before my purchase. I now have 7,105 miles on car and original batteries. GEM is still going strong, I always have car hooked on charger when not in use. electrolyte and gel batteries will last much longer when not used until charge is depleted. This is also noted in your GEM instruction book. Your automobile battery is continuously charged during use, but if you leave light on a couple or times, it greatly reduces battery live. battery live is stated at 300-400 discharge-recharge cycles, but with proper care will last longer.

I had decided to change out motor for 8.5 HP aftermarket motor to increase speed to 35 MPH. I did not adjust T3 motor controller, although I have software and 9 pin connector. Speed was increased only about 1 MPH, still had governor limit. Error code 81 displayed and unit would not run but in little spurts of 10 feet before locking up after 7-8 months of use. Motor vendor would not answer my e-mails and phone calls for speed sensor warranty replacement or repair parts. After the fact, I would not advise purchase of 7.5 - 8.5 HP motor for use on eL XD which has 7.0 HP motor and over temperature sensor and enough HP to move you up hills with maybe 2-3 MPH drop. The over temperature sensor was added I believe in 2005-2006 due to number of 3 and 5 HP motors burning up. The larger 8.5 HP aftermarket motors are supposed to be designed to handle higher temperatures and therefore do not require temperature sensor, but is suspect as winding potting epoxy will melt above 200 deg F and motor will flat stop at temperature above 350 deg. I re-installed my original 7.0 HP motor into GEM and it has been running fine for 3000miles.