GEM 2016 E4 4 seater

I kinda like the funky t-bar/scooter steering. Gotta be limber enough to swing a leg over that.

In theory…
This makes it easier for a smart kid to make this remote control. (But this one is too nice for target practice).

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from GEM 2016 E4 4 seater:

I’m not sure about the motor. I saw some motors for less than 900 on ebay. I don’t know if it’s the right one though. How much is the one your looking at?

It looks like only small bits are “proprietary” like the T-bar steering and button box. Other things I see are COTS like the GPS, LiDAR, 600W inverter etc. But if you meant they removed the non-standard parts that’d be a shame. There are probably nice linear actuators and or motors under it to handle steering and braking too.

FYI, I’ve been working with small scale autonomous vehicles since 2017 with the DIYRoboCar project and one of my partners started teaching this at UCSD and that’s spun into other things like an autonomous IndyCar project. It’s crazy fun stuff. https://www.donkeycar.com/

The 2016+ come with either a 5kw or 6.5kw AC motor. you can probably buy one used for between 500-800. @scottd might have a connection for larger motors.

Keep a few more here if they can be outside.
I may get one if I can hitch a ride with George.
Motor is a small issue. I have the 5kw and one from Tomberlin. Also the pmacs, adding tall gears is the way to go.