GE motor Magnet Upgrade

Many of the golf cart guys are upgrading the magnets in there golf carts to get more speed. Our Gem cars have the same speed sensor and magnet as a club car golf cart. Just wondering if a magnet upgrade would provide similar results as the club cars are getting.

Many golf carts are getting 10 more MPH from upgrading the motor magnet.

Most online retailers seem to sale upgraded magnets not the stock ones.

Thanks,

I THINK what you’re talking about is to replace/remove some of the magnets in the RPM sensor in the motor. By removing magnets the speed sensor reports the motor RPM to the control as 1/2 the actual RPM. This “tricks” the controller into overspeeding the motor which of course increases the MPH but at the risk of damaging the motor. My UNDERSTANDING is that this is only necessary on later GEMs where the max MPH was “hardcoded” into the controller and thus can’t be changed by reprogramming. I believe your 2002 can still be software programmed by someone with the correct equipment to override the stock OEM MPH setting in the controller.

How do I replace half of the magnets in my 2008 seven HP motor? I know how to take off the cover with the two wires and get the magnet out. But what do I do to modify the magnet when I get it out?

Jerry

Haven’t done it myself but I was told you just REMOVE two of the existing magnets. The controller senses only half speed and doesn’t limit the speed as a result. Use at your own risk!

Nah

You buy a 2 pole magnet. (original is 4) about 50 bucks.

Here’s the rub. If you have the 12.44 trans axle the extra speed will tear up your motor because the RPM’s get WAY beyond what the motor can handle. That’s why Polaris went back to the 10.35 axle.

1 Like

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;24529]Nah

You buy a 2 pole magnet. (original is 4) about 50 bucks.

Here’s the rub. If you have the 12.44 trans axle the extra speed will tear up your motor because the RPM’s get WAY beyond what the motor can handle. That’s why Polaris went back to the 10.35 axle.[/quote]

Doing 30 now via GPS. If I want to go faster. Sounds like a “Catch 22”… Do the magnet thing and blow/then buy a new faster motor for about $900 or do the hard (bad back) messy labor and cost of new gears before I do the magnets change?

Jerry

1 Like

I talked with Jim from Ride for fun. The sell magnets for Ride4fun motors only. He referred me to Richard at a Chrysler dealer in FL. to buy a magnet for a factory motor

I called Richard, he said that I can not install a magnet in my factory stock GEM motor. I have to buy a Ride4fun motor with there magnet to fool the controller for over 25mpr speed.

He also said that the latest thing (last six months) is to pay ride4fun and extra $275 to “flash” my controller to allow the speedometer to display real speed and not half. Then be able to do over 40mph with their higher rpm motor. Has anybody here installed disk brakes on the rear?

I think that I’ll leave her alone for a while. She’s not broken why fix her. Doing 31 I’m the fastest in my complex right now. If a faster gun pops up, I’ll Ride4fun then.

As the world turns…

I love my T1 controller. I can program it far enough to destroy the motor:)

Had it up to 35 with a 3.5HP. (it got HOT)

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;24571]I love my T1 controller. I can program it far enough to destroy the motor:)

Had it up to 35 with a 3.5HP. (it got HOT)[/quote]

One of the advantages of the older first generation gem cars… might be others, but the only one that I can think of, right now (LOL). :smiley:

fyi , the magnets only fool the speedo so you can go over the 25mph limit . if your doing 30 mph you must have larger tires installed . if you want to go faster just have your controller reprogrammed . I’ve done multiple , one of the carts I have has a ride for fun 7.5 in it , the other has a stock 5hp motor in it . I limit them to 32 mph top speed , but both are equally as fast . you can get you stock motor to easily do 32 and push it a little to 34mph if you want . I live in florida so we don’t deal with hills , every stock car we have done has had no problems .

so before you spend a lot of money on a new motor , just reprogram your existing one and enjoy it . the worst that well happen is ,you well someday wear the stock motor out , well then buy the new motor you wanted anyway .

Yep… I’ve got 15" tires.

There’s a few variables to what your saying about reprograming the controller and motor changing. [U]Pending on the year [/U]of the GEM vehicle. (Please read post #7 above ), regarding you comments on motor magnets and controller programing. I’m also a state certified 12 volt auto/marine electrician.

I have a 2008 Anniversary limited edition. It has a 7.0 motor and the magnet can not be modified like gem factory 5 hp and Ride4Fun motors. At this point, I do not desire to purchase a Ride4Fun motor and reprograming the controller without with out changing the motor does not make any sense. (As per post #7 above).

I will live with my wheel spinning 7 hp motor “Like a bat out of hell” acceleration, up to 30.7 mph… until a faster gun in my FL complex moves in. (Again, as per post #7 above).

[QUOTE=Rascal;24729]Yep… I’ve got 15" tires.

There’s a few variables to what your saying about reprograming the controller and motor changing. [U]Pending on the year [/U]of the GEM vehicle. (Please read post #7 above ), regarding you comments on motor magnets and controller programing. I’m also a state certified 12 volt auto/marine electrician.

I have a 2008 Anniversary limited edition. It has a 7.0 motor and the magnet can not be modified like gem factory 5 hp and Ride4Fun motors. At this point, I do not desire to purchase a Ride4Fun motor and reprograming the controller without with out changing the motor does not make any sense. (As per post #7 above).

if you already have the 7.0 motor already you diffidently don’t need to upgrade your motor . my neighbor has a 2014 with a 7.0 motor . we reprogrammed his controller and it was faster then he wanted it to go. we had to slow it down a little so he was more comfortable with his wife driving.

i’m not sure if you understand you don’t have to change any magnets . you can do the same thing in the controller . the reason ride 4 fun does it is because if you put one of their motors in without updating the controller you well still be limited to 25mph on the speedo .

so “when” you want to go faster , spend $200 updating your controller . no new motor or magnets necessary .

Would there be interest in an add-on speedometer or tach kit?
(user programmable led)

Cost from $20 to $100!

A recent experiment on my Gem, measuring gear ratio electronically, opened up a lot of possibilities, for inexpensive test devices and add-ons.

[quote=Inwo;26969]Would there be interest in an add-on speedometer or tach kit?
(user programmable led)

Cost from $20 to $100!

A recent experiment on my Gem, measuring gear ratio electronically, opened up a lot of possibilities, for inexpensive test devices and add-ons.[/quote]

tell me more please

Haven’t done much yet!

So far I’ve researched the speed sensor plugs. They seem to be standard.
So I could make a kit that plugged into the harness.

Or I could connect by spicing into the wires at controller.

I built a high impedance interface to feed a stand-alone pulse counter.

That allowed me to count motor revolutions per one turn of wheels. Which is the gear ratio.

In my case (8.9).

That got me thinking that there might be interest in tapping into the sensor, to read RPMs, or by using a divide by “N” counter, read out in MPH/KPH.

Parts should be less than $20.

No idea how much work involved to actually build it.

I’m thinking, too much work, unless I made a few of them at the same time.

I have some health issues that keep me from doing much mechanical. Have loads of time to tinker with electronics, in short bursts.:slight_smile:

Tell me why i’m only getting 2 weeks out of these little read outs. I’ve gone thru 3 voltage units and on my 5th Volt amp units, Their dirt cheap but a PITA to keep changing out.

Do you use them in a permanent connection to car?

What goes bad?

Yes Get flaky readings then they die. Brother in law has same problem in 36 volt cart.

Are they used within there ratings?

For example:
I have some 0-99 dcv meters.