FUSE #9 keeps blowing

Working on a 2007 E2. It runs fine but if any of the accessories are used it blows the 1 amp fuse number 9. The turn signals won’t trip it. But the horn,heater,overhead light bar,head lights and even the brake light will trip it. When it it blows the fuse everything shuts off and it trips the alarm for the parking brake. Batteries are fully charged. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, that’s a simple answer, just don’t use the horn, heater, overhead light bar, head lights or brake light.

Thats possible but very impracticle Jar Jar Java.

Could it be a bad PSDM ?

F9 is supposed to be your key circuit.
Odd that running a 12v accessory will blow that fuse.

Has there been anything else tapped into that? Look for anything that does not look like a factory connection.

What is plugged into the accessory points on the left of the PSDM?

it is a 1a fuse, nothing should be running thru it.

Well my earlier guess was right. I replaced the PSDM with a known good one and the Gem is happy again. I have no idea what caused it to fail. Thanks to everyone who gave me support. Now on to the next Gem on my list. I’ve got 2 more to get going.

Yeah, well with that attotude…

What attitude are you talking about ?

1 Like

So defeatist.
It’s just a brake light.
“It’s so impractical”
No sense of adventure.
No spirit.
You’re calling it over and done.
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
WTF man!

1 Like

OK,I checked all wiring and all connections were correct with no signs of shorting.Then I disconnected all the accessories. S1 through s6. It still blew the 1 amp fuse 9 when the head lights,brake lights or horn were used. Ignition switch ohmed good. Came to the conclusion the PSDM was at fault. R & R the PSDM and it’s fixed. When I have time I will take a peek inside the PSDM. Is that better Jar Jar .

Nah man, i meant go be a balla and roll with no lights Brake lights and turn signals are just sugguestions

See? This was a much more informative report than your previous post that says “I swapped the PSDM” which made this look like such a parts swapper cop out to those that were offering suggestions.

Personally, I have never heard of the PSDM acting in such a way so I am very curious as to what the inside of it looks like and what the backstory is on this car.

The accessory circuits should have nothing to do with F9 which is why I would have looked for some creative/random wiring connections that do not look like factory. It sounds like something is tapped in where is shouldn’t be and mixing into the accessories you are switching on.

2 Likes

I’m sorry if I’m not very clear. I’m kinda new to blogging. I guess a little background may help. I’m 72 years old and have been working on cars since I was around 10 years old. I worked at Chrysler for 32 years,the last 12 years I was a robot repairman.The E2 I was working on I had sold to someone and when he was driving the Gem stopped so I went and got it and found the number 9 one amp fuse was blown. Easy fix right ! Oh ya before I go any further all accessories are factory with nothing added on. It has a heater,fan,overhead light bar and windshield squirt. Drove it without using any accessories for 9 miles. No problems,but as soon as I would touch the brake pedal or use any thing else old number 9 would blow. Everything would shut down except the emergency brake alarm. I disconnected all the options IE: heater,squirt and light bar. Touch anything like the brake light headlights and number 9 would blow. Funny thing is though the turn signals didn’t bother it. I did a full inspection of the wiring and found nothing. Also the cart is always kept indoors so no chance of water getting into something. I"ve got a lot of parts and had a known good PSDM so I swapped it out and hooked up the heater,light bar and the squirt just like it was before. And no more blown number 9. I’ll let you know what I find when I open up the PSDM. It will be a couple of weeks though. I am limited in DC electronics. At Chrysler we had to get the line running as fast as possible so we narrowed the bad board down and replaced it. I’ll try to be more clear from now on. Thank you all

1 Like

That’s a head scratcher so please do let us know what you find.

I will let you know, far more times than not the user did something they “forgot” to tell us about when the problem is finally found. You know, subtle details like ‘oh, there’s no controller installed because I have it out for repair’ and ‘well I did hose off the engine compartment and the dashboard’.

So your GEM is a squirter?

I have 5 Gems at the moment. Three are squirters.

1 Like