Front end alignment

Just installed a rebuilt steering rack. Now I need to align the front end. Any help .

You need a carpenters square, masking tape and a flat place.

1. Line up the car straight ahead on a flat surface.

2. Put the square against the fat side of the rear of the tire. Place a piece of tape on the surface

3. Repeat on the fat side of the front of the tire.

4. Repeat on the other side.

5. Measure the distance between the tapes. Try to adjust for about 1/16 to 1/8 inch toe in.

Remember the front wheels tend to pull together at the front (Toe in) under power. Depending on slop you might have to adjust the 1/8th inch.

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;33931]You need a carpenters square, masking tape and a flat place.

1. Line up the car straight ahead on a flat surface.

2. Put the square against the fat side of the rear of the tire. Place a piece of tape on the surface

3. Repeat on the fat side of the front of the tire.

4. Repeat on the other side.

5. Measure the distance between the tapes. Try to adjust for about 1/16 to 1/8 inch toe in.

Remember the front wheels tend to pull together at the front (Toe in) under power. Depending on slop you might have to adjust the 1/8th inch.[/quote]
I just finished alignment and I got 1/8" difference from back to front. Align the steering wheel and took it for a ride, now’s it’s pulling hard to the left. Can the rack be possible bad. Thanks Alan

Haven’t experienced that. Did it pull before you set the toe. You do have it toed in for sure?

Do the wheels look “right” when viewed from the front of the car?

Try taking 3 flats of toe out of each side and see what happens.

Jack up all corners of the car and check for dragging brakes.