Ford Think Solenoid Problem

On a Ford Think golf cart, when you do not hear the “click” upon turning the ignition switch on, how do you verify whether it’s the solenoid or some else that is preventing the solenoid from functioning properly.

Follow the Vehicle No Enable Troubleshooting Flow Chart. Page 27 in the electrical section. Also, contactor pinpoint test page 32

Thanks. I discovered the problem was the controller fuse holder.

1 Like

My problem now is my Think runs just fine but have no lights, horn, flashers or wiper.

Check the dc/dc converters. The two orange wires are 72 volt power and ground in and the red and black wires are 12 volts out. If you 72 volts going in but not over 12 volts coming out, then it’s bad. Some have two converters.

Thank you for response. My dc converter is riveted to the frame and I can’t figure out how to get the electrical connector parted in order to do a voltage test. Where would the 72 volt feed terminals be? There is not a direct connection from batteries to dc converter.

Page 40 and 41 in the electrical section shows the circuit. 72 volt power comes from an fuse under the drivers seat. It should be the one closest to the passenger side. 30 amp fuse. Should be 3 fuses in a row. See page 14. To remove the inside converter you have to remove the floor kick up panel. The connector can be a pain sometimes

Thanks again for all the help. My Think now all of a sudden will only go 17 mph vs 25 plus the throttle is very jerky at low speeds. Any idea what the problem is.

Wes

Sounds like it might be in turf mode. Check the mode switch operation (ignition switch)

No, I should have mentioned that it’s in drive mode. It now goes 11 in turf vs 15.

Check battery pack voltage while driving.

The voltage while driving is 71 volts. Recently I’ve have had a problem with the 10 amp fuse holder, could that be my problem with low speed?

Wes

What should the battery pack voltage be?

Sorry I’m on vacation and the internet isn’t very good. You probably have a bad battery. Put your voltmeter on one battery at a time and drive a short distance. Write down the voltage for each battery while driving. If one drops a lot more than the rest than it’s most likely bad.

Thanks ever so much for responding while on vacation. I’ll definitely do what you suggested but have couple questions. Do batteries go bad suddenly? Cart was running fine then suddenly wouldn’t. I was having trouble with the 10 amp fuse holder and when I was inserting the fuse, I had forgot to turn the service switch off, I got a lot of clicking from solenoid and right after that the cart would only go 17 mph.

Thanks again

Wes

Yes, a battery can go bad all of the sudden. Replacing the fuse with the power on shouldn’t have hurt anything but it’s possible. I would start with the basics which is make sure you don’t have a bad battery.

I first checked the batteries after charging them, five of them read 12.84 volts and the sixth one was 12.75. I then load tested each battery, they all ranged from 10.4 to 10.6 volts.

Wes

Check to make sure nothing is dragging like the brakes. It should roll very easily. After driving touch each wheel, they should not be hot. If that checks out, test the AP (accelerator pedal) sensor operation. Make sure you have close to 5 volts to the controller at WOT (wide open throttle). Also put voltmeter on the two big terminals one the drivers side of the controller. Make sure voltage is close to battery pack voltage under load. If that all checks out, see if you can find another controller you could swap out to test.

1 Like

When was the last time this motor was serviced? If you have 1 stuck brush (not making good contact) your motor is running on half it’s potential.

It does look like your pack is dropping down quite low under load.

I checked for any break drag, there is none. How do I get access to AP sensor operation for checking voltage to controller? There is no access under the hood or dash to where one could check voltage. Does “wide open throttle” mean to check voltage while traveling at maximum speed?

I really appreciate all the help you have provided, there does not seem to be anyone here in Mesa, AZ that will help or provide any service for my cart.

Wes