Ford Think Solenoid Problem

Go to page 55 in the electrical section. Do all measurements at the controller. Use small paper clips or sewing needles or something similar. Open the paper clip and slide it down beside the wire into the connector so you can back probe the wires. Disconnect the motor cables. Check to make sure you have 5 volts and then check the two wiper wires one at a time. One should go from about 1 volt to 5 volt and the other from 5 volts to 1 volt depending on how much you’re pushing the accelerator pedal.

Also check for stuck brushes like AssyRequired said.

I haven’t had time to check the voltages like you described, but I did take the cart for a short ride, about 2 blocks. The motor was almost too hot to touch, is that normal? Or would a struck brush cause this? The motor is black in color so it’s a 4 hp, right? If I need to replace it, what are the spec?

Thanks, Wes

A black motor should be a 6 hp. It should have a label on the side. Grey motors are the 4 hp. It will get hot but not too hot to touch especially after two blocks. I would take it apart and check the brushes.

It sure sounds like your motor is working hard for some reason. For a motor to be heating up so fast (2 blocks) It sounds like your field current is cranked up too high or something. Maybe it is partially shorting to ground?

If armature was heating up I think it would take a bit of time to convect it’s way out to the case.

OK, if what you say is my problem, how do I determine the specific cause and the fix.

Thanks, Wes

Just YouTube how to test a dc motor with a multimeter. Make sure to ohm out the armature.