Ford Think-Overheated batteries

Overheated Batteries-2002 Ford Think:

-Deka Gel-8g31-w/ a DeltaQ charger-912-7200

-DC/DC converter-Sevcon-

Problems: Batteries over heat while charging for 6 hrs or more

1. The q charger panel reads light on wiggly (ac indicator) & light on 6 bars-This reading never changes.

2. I individually checked all 6 batteries with multi-meter (non-load) 12.4, 10.00,12.45,9.89,11.40,11.90. I made sure all battery connections were clean and tight.

3. All access./lights work fine

4. Master cut off switch, behind seat. Has 3 fuses-Middle fuse is 30 A for charger, has been disconnected. In it’s place there has been an in line fuse that was replaced when we purchased is in good working order.

5. We were having problems with the emergency brake indicator on dash when brake was released (the light would not go out) WE found a coin & small metal object within the emergency brake switch area which was removed. We also cleaned the switch. The light goes now out when released.

6. The battery is not holding a charge as long as it did previously. Batteries are from 2019. It loses charge quicker than normal. It seems that the charger does not shut down once fully charged.

Any other thoughts on what to check or possible reasons. Thank you in Advance. Bob (a novice with ford thinks)

It really looks like your batteries are roached.

1. they shouldn’t get hot.
  2. they are not even CLOSE to being balanced in any way

Check your charger to see what profile it is set to. An incorrect charge profile will junk a set of batteries in a couple of months.

On a Think- Is there a big master cut-off switch? Or just the little toggle (this one does not fully disconnect the battery)

If not, you need to disconnect the red charge lead off the charger to do this check.
Then plug in the charger and watch the charger status panel.
It will do a boot up sequence and cycle through all the lights
Then it will flash one of it’s lights in a set of blinks.
Count those blinks.
There will be a pause and blink again.
It may blink a two digit code
then it will repeat the code maybe 3 times
and change to a Red2 flash (which is a battery error because it can’t find one)

If you miss it, Unplug until the display goes dark and try again.

Report back with your findings.

I have the small toggle switch located the back panel of the emergency brake handle.
Can I disconnect the red cable from the charger that is directly at the battery cable positive post?

Regarding the flashing codes on the charger. I am assuming once I count the blinks you have the codes which tells what it corresponds to?

The Delta Q tech told me my charger profile should be 6.
What is best way to check chargers profile?

Thank you
Bob

I’m not an expert here but I do know you have a major imbalance between your batteries. Non of them are at full charge and may all be toast. If you have a 12V car charger I would charge each battery individually to see if they will take a charge. There is no need to disconnect any of them and simply place the charger across each battery one by one. I would disconnect the master switch assuming you have one. If you are lucky they may come back up to snuff if they are not too sulphated.

Attached is a short video of checking for my profile on the Delta Q charger.
I follow the instructions you had sent, I disconnected the red positive charger lead wire from the positive battery post. I did leave the main battery cables connected on that and all positive post.
I don’t see a reading for my charger profile after a start up sequence it goes to a red flashing two times your thoughts Bob thank you[quote=“AssyRequired, post:2, topic:24667, full:true”]
It really looks like your batteries are roached.

1. they shouldn’t get hot.
  2. they are not even CLOSE to being balanced in any way

Check your charger to see what profile it is set to. An incorrect charge profile will junk a set of batteries in a couple of months.

On a Think- Is there a big master cut-off switch? Or just the little toggle (this one does not fully disconnect the battery)

If not, you need to disconnect the red charge lead off the charger to do this check.
Then plug in the charger and watch the charger status panel.
It will do a boot up sequence and cycle through all the lights
Then it will flash one of it’s lights in a set of blinks.
Count those blinks.
There will be a pause and blink again.
It may blink a two digit code
then it will repeat the code maybe 3 times
and change to a Red2 flash (which is a battery error because it can’t find one)

If you miss it, Unplug until the display goes dark and try again.

Report back with your findings.
[/quote]

strong text

Update on my Deka Gel batteries. Evidently the profile of my Delta Q charger had a setting of 1 instead of 6. With the help off Assembly Req. and the tech at Delta Q problem corrected.
I also bought a new set of Deka gels
All seems to be good now. Thanks to all
Bob

I could have stepped you through the profile change, but I was waiting for what you found first.

Good that it sounds like you are all set. Sorry that is toasted a set of batteries.

It just goes to show all you boys and girls that you really shouldn’t assume things are all set. You really should get to know all aspects of your car.